***OKIES in the BYC III ***

RIP unnamed SLW Rooster #1. One of the labs got into the chicken yard and picked him up puncturing a lung in the process. We've been working with her and she hasn't been aggressive but still wants to play with the chickens. After the deed was done and the rooster removed she sat with me in the chicken yard and didn't chase the others for about an hour. I've been more leanient with the training but looks like we'll be stepping it up again.

I thought they might be mill fleur leghorns. I was hoping, anyway. The hen below is mill fleur, but I can't identify the chicks she has.
I think she looks more like a Swedish Flower Hen. I am not seeing the long legs, the long back or the large folded over comb of a leghorn and that is not a leghorn tail either. The Mille Fleurs are an eye catcher though. My brother got into Swedish Flower Hens a few year ago because he liked the color. They failed to thrive on his farm in Maryland while his Buff Orpingtons were kicking butt so he sourced a breeding quad of Jubilee Orpington to make the switch. The last Mille Fleur I have was a Champagne Mille Fleur Basque Hen. She was taken by a predator but below is Poppy Seed.

This is Poppy Seed on the right, Gloria and the Left and Doc in the middle back. :)

I'm so annoyed. Drove to bfe, ok to get some turkey poults last week. Guy already had them boxed for me so I didn't see his brooder. Two died in under 48 hours, third died last night.
1f621.png
Now I remember why I only order online or take local free birds.

I'm so annoyed. Drove to bfe, ok to get some turkey poults last week. Guy already had them boxed for me so I didn't see his brooder. Two died in under 48 hours, third died last night.
1f621.png
Now I remember why I only order online or take local free birds.

That's terrible. Not sure who the breeder was, but, I refuse to buy online, anymore. I'm mostly trying to hatch out, all of my own birds, and sell what I can't use. But, I've had much better luck, with birds purchased in person, than with mail order. I've ordered from McMurray, eFowl, and a few others, yet the best birds I have were those I got face-to-face, reasonably locally.
The best turkey breeder I know of, anywhere around, is Jim Leopard, of Warner, OK. Mostly Narragansett turkeys, but, I'm hearing things about him maybe getting into breeding Jersey Buffs, too. He has a couple of grand champion Toms, that have produced almost all of my turkeys. The only deaths I have had, in the 2+ years I've had them, were either butchered, or killed by a predator. My Narragansett Tom, Lefty, is too sweet natured, to eat him, even though his fertility is not what I would hope. I need to get 5-10 more, from Jim Leopard.

That's terrible. Not sure who the breeder was, but, I refuse to buy online, anymore. I'm mostly trying to hatch out, all of my own birds, and sell what I can't use. But, I've had much better luck, with birds purchased in person, than with mail order. I've ordered from McMurray, eFowl, and a few others, yet the best birds I have were those I got face-to-face, reasonably locally.
The best turkey breeder I know of, anywhere around, is Jim Leopard, of Warner, OK. Mostly Narragansett turkeys, but, I'm hearing things about him maybe getting into breeding Jersey Buffs, too. He has a couple of grand champion Toms, that have produced almost all of my turkeys. The only deaths I have had, in the 2+ years I've had them, were either butchered, or killed by a predator. My Narragansett Tom, Lefty, is too sweet natured, to eat him, even though his fertility is not what I would hope. I need to get 5-10 more, from Jim Leopard.

I usually order from smaller hatcheries online. Never had a problem. I don't have chick deaths either unless they arrive or hatch in bad shape and the online hatcheries are always eager to refund or replace. That's why I'm so frustrated because I know this isn't my fault. I didn't screw up. I don't think I've had a single dead chick from anything but predators in four years. But it was so far out there that there's no point in pursuing it. Ive had five ducks, two turkeys, and 66 chicks so far this year and nothing died till now
1f621.png

Just now getting back on...if the jars were sealed when finally cool, they should be fine. If not sealed refridgerate and use within a week or freeze for up to three months. You can freeze in ice trays and bag the cubes.
When I make bone broth, I pressure can the broth for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.
Canning meat takes longer.

Thanks, they ended sealed, but I thought it had to be canned same as meat, so I canned at to high a pressure and to long. I'll adjust next time.

I usually order from smaller hatcheries online. Never had a problem. I don't have chick deaths either unless they arrive or hatch in bad shape and the online hatcheries are always eager to refund or replace. That's why I'm so frustrated because I know this isn't my fault. I didn't screw up. I don't think I've had a single dead chick from anything but predators in four years. But it was so far out there that there's no point in pursuing it. Ive had five ducks, two turkeys, and 66 chicks so far this year and nothing died till now
1f621.png

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not blaming you. I'm simply just giving warning, about big online hatcheries.
I personally try to get my birds local, or hatch them myself. My theory, is that birds are more immune to airborne organisms that they are born into. They develop immunities, when they are born into certain environs. And, when one is hatched in say, New Jersey, may be more susceptible to airborne organisms, in Oklahoma. Where if they are hatched and raised more closely, they will tend to be healthier, and resist local organisms, more readily. This is just an unproven theory, that I came up with, after losing nearly $1000 worth of birds from large online hatcheries. My own hatches, have never had that kind of mortality rate. A few, but darned few.
I mentioned Jim, because of my personal experience, knowing that he should be a good breeder to contact, if you might be inclined.
But, in no way, did I intend to even imply that what happened was your fault. Please accept my apology, if it seemed like I was implying that. It was unintentional.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not blaming you. I'm simply just giving warning, about big online hatcheries.
I personally try to get my birds local, or hatch them myself. My theory, is that birds are more immune to airborne organisms that they are born into. They develop immunities, when they are born into certain environs. And, when one is hatched in say, New Jersey, may be more susceptible to airborne organisms, in Oklahoma. Where if they are hatched and raised more closely, they will tend to be healthier, and resist local organisms, more readily. This is just an unproven theory, that I came up with, after losing nearly $1000 worth of birds from large online hatcheries. My own hatches, have never had that kind of mortality rate. A few, but darned few.
I mentioned Jim, because of my personal experience, knowing that he should be a good breeder to contact, if you might be inclined.
But, in no way, did I intend to even imply that what happened was your fault. Please accept my apology, if it seemed like I was implying that. It was unintentional.

I didn't get that impression, sorry if I came across upset with you, I'm not. I bought juvenile birds locally once and they infected my whole flock, now buying these local and they've all but one died. I was just saying I've had the opposite experience from you. Though I've only ordered from mcmurray once with a group, but I've heard enough people say bad things about them I wouldn't be inclined to use them myself. I'm just done with buying from people locally.

I've always had great luck with people saying, "hey, I've got extras. Want them?" So maybe I'm just a bad judge of character when it comes to people selling.

I didn't get that impression, sorry if I came across upset with you, I'm not. I bought juvenile birds locally once and they infected my whole flock, now buying these local and they've all but one died. I was just saying I've had the opposite experience from you. Though I've only ordered from mcmurray once with a group, but I've heard enough people say bad things about them I wouldn't be inclined to use them myself. I'm just done with buying from people locally.

I've always had great luck with people saying, "hey, I've got extras. Want them?" So maybe I'm just a bad judge of character when it comes to people selling.
I'm lucky I live 30 minutes from country hatchery in Wewoka. Their selection isn't very extensive but the ability to get them without stress sure helps.

There's an article in "Chickens " magazine July/August edition (mag rack at lowes) that tells what vegetables are good for your chickens and which are not. Maybe all of you knew but I didn't have a clue :idunno The cover looks like an old man wearing a suit that doesn't fit and he tied his own tie in the dark. Naked neck bird. :lau
1000 apologies in advance to those of you with naked neck pets.

Last edited:
Moving chickens is stressful and it COULD be a non infectious issue, like dust or hay in the eye. However it is more likely the stress has brought out an underlying condition, that she likely has never been symptomatic with but has carried. I don't think visine will hurt her, but if it is infectious it won't help. You could use it to rule out, apply it see if it helps if so most likely just a "particulate" in the eye, if not or if others start being affected you have a big descision, antibiotic or no, and even if tx w/ antibiotic if you are wanting to risk them being carriers and exposing your flock though no longer symptomatic

Thank you for this advise. One bird was definitely sick and seemed like it only took one day to make another one sick. The sick bird was laying on the ground looking like it was dying or something. Called up the man I bought them from and had him take them back. He offered to exchange birds for me but I didn't want any more birds from him. Ended up going to Guthrie and getting some 4 week old chicks from Willoby's Feed & Outfitters. They all look so cute and healthy. Have them in the garage right now in this giant tub that we had our first set of birds in when we got them. This time we got all different ones so can easily tell them apart and it will be enjoyable to see them color out differently. Put electrolytes in their water and got them crumbles. Won't be able to put them with the old flock as soon because of the age difference, but at least they all seem healthy.

Now I am wondering what I should use to clean the cage/coop I had the sick birds in ... would Dawn dishwashing detergent work?

Our feather picking bird, Mattie, was re-homed on Memorial Day, went to friend of husband who has many birds and said she didn't think her birds would allow her to pick their feathers. So glad because she was a healthy hen and didn't know what to do with her, just had a bad habit we couldn't break no matter what advise we tried.

Also want to thank everyone for gardening advise ... looks like everything is growing great and we might have a lot of tomatoes this year.

Back
Top Bottom