***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I contacted the game warden here and he said he couldn't set traps because of pets roaming the country. He also said he was swamped with varmit problems and if I saw it "take care of it" because it had let my daughter so close to it and was eating my poultry. It's getting the turkeys in broad daylight. I have set aside about 4 acres of trees and don't keep the brush down just for wild life. It has lot of deer and a wild turkey roost tree. I may have to clean it out if the cat hangs around.

Glad the warden was receptive to the idea and not surprised he gave you the standard answer. Few years back we lost over 70 cats and dogs to one in an area. We got the standard answer so we dealt with it.
I hope you get him or make it uncomfortable enough it leaves. I hate to see wildlife safety zones go away. Be safe and don't be stingy with the lead amounts.

Quote:
A few years ago they released some pairs in eastern oklahoma, so they are there and i know of people losing horses to them- so it isn't that surprising we will be seeing them
Quote: i need to get one - or two- its very annoying to have to go out periodically and check for the snake, this one Dave relocated actually went up the ramp through chickens standing there- a little odd to see them hop over him

Thank you for posting the minnow trap.  I need to get mine out of the attic.  I know they work!
I had a big one in the young chick run. it had two big lumps and I was missing two chickens. It just kept lolling there happily digesting a chicken dinner. I rudely interrupted him, and he got a free ride to the happy chicken hunting grounds.
The minnow trap hasn't worked, maybe because the snakes are so big. We've had several big ones this year, one was 6'6" and two 6'. (Measured, not estimated).

Last edited:
Oops! The rains came and we were not prepared. The coop is still not hooked up to the run nor secure, and although the run has tree cover, still got all wet. The chickens did not look happy, like drowned rats. I stuck our large puppy-sized carrier in the run, but the chickens just looked at me like 'What are we supposed to do with THAT?'. I grabbed a few and shoved them in. The rest followed and they all fit except for a couple of their tails hanging out. The 6 week olds were in the small run with a cover over it, so they were a tad damp from the ground being wet, but huddled together and fine. I gave them an oxyclean tub laid on it's side, but they didn't want to go in it. I guess they'll be fine, though. It's not cold and they are nearly fully feathered. Tomorrow I'll get them some better shelter, but I feel a little guilty tonight. I just hope none of them get sick. Can that happen?

Last edited:
I contacted the game warden here and he said he couldn't set traps because of pets roaming the country. He also said he was swamped with varmit problems and if I saw it "take care of it" because it had let my daughter so close to it and was eating my poultry. It's getting the turkeys in broad daylight. I have set aside about 4 acres of trees and don't keep the brush down just for wild life. It has lot of deer and a wild turkey roost tree. I may have to clean it out if the cat hangs around.
My two grandsons also have dogs and the Great Pyrenees doesn't bother the poultry. The other is a huge German Shepard. I may bring them out for a while.
I would like to see it move on, the problem is that they have a big range and it will most likely be back. My fear is always for the kids. A few years ago there was a picture in the newspaper of one in Shawnee, so there isn't much fear of humans left. I imagine the reluctance to admit a population in some states is to avoid a public outcry of "save the lion" or "kill the lion" like there was with the wolves.
With that I'll go back to my chickens and what's left of my turkeys.

best snake trap- minnow trap- i need to get one- one tried to strangle our muscovy, Dave took care of it, then a smaller one started haunting us, he did relocate that one today after it wandered into the silky coop
The experts on here (definitely not me) have suggested using the plastic garden netting rolled loosely around on the ground for them to get entangled in. I forgot it this year I should probably get some, we still have a lot of snake season left.

Any insight on sexing Barnevelder chicks? I asked the breeder, and she said the eyeliner thing doesn't works on hers. I think I did some reading up that said the boys feather in earlier. I definitely have some variation in feathering rate in mine. They are 3 weeks old. Not in a rush to know. Just curious. The yellow chick my daughter wanted is definitely a boy. Already pinking up in the comb and wattles.

Anyone with duck hens?? my poor drake is alone, his last girl went broody and never came home-
I have four muscovy hens and one fawn and white runner hen. They are with my muscovy drake. Two of the muscovy hens are broody, but the other two are not. Would you like one of my non-broody muscovy hens?

Back
Top Bottom