***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It can happen at the beginning or ending of an egg cycle for an older hen as with a point of lay pullets.
When they first started laying we kept looking for the tiny "starter" eggs, but never found any. These three are just over a year old and have been laying for awhile now so my son was surprised to find this. LOL My husband jokes that the one must finally be deciding to lay, but I think she has been laying already. She is just smaller than the others weight wise.

When your hens get to the end do you all just let hem live till they die or do you eat them or what?
Just bein curious

If they quit laying they can still make with some good dumplings. It's an extra feed bill. Mine usually go to the predators long before they quit laying.

Going out to weed wack the edges around the flower beds in the front yard and then in the garden.
Then I need to mow again.
Then I will gather the windfall apples in the garden.

Our cow is improving and the calf is holding his own.

We're working outside today, too. We're moving the chickens to the back of the property where the shade is better. This time, we're putting their coop and run on buried concrete blocks, and sand because rats were tunneling under the run. Well, the sand is for the drainage, so they don't get mired anymore when it rains. Since I'm the one who complained, I have to help with the project. I guess I just wanted to give them a cleaner environment since I might have to eat them someday. Ha! One of my pullets learned a new call today. The one that goes "Baw-Kaaawk!" really loudly and repeatedly.

Last edited:
Hello Okies. Just wanted to shout out and say hello to those who might be close by. I'm in the western side of the state. Cheyenne. Almost in Texas. I have five hens right now and they are around 6 months old. I love them and can't wait for eggs to start showing up. Bought one of those $300.00 prebuilt coops but hate it so I am getting ready to build my own from scratch.

Coral, hope you have power back now.  Not a good time of year (if there is any) to lose power.  We were lucky.

Cathiesue, I'm working on Vashi to try to get him to come next time.  He's not actually a "chicken person" but is supportive of me when he can be.

But he is fun to talk to and you know we do a lot of that and not just about chickens!

Ok which one of you.....

Back
Top Bottom