***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I've looked at this site for almost a year but joined tonight. We got our first chicks in March. They are Buff Orpington. They are just farm girls that give us great eggs.

We bought our first breeders last weekend at the Shawnee show to start really showing next year. They are Black Wyandotte Bantams. They are currently in my laundry room becuase it's so cold. Oh, they get up at 4:30am!!
I look forward to learning many new things this year.

Thanks! I live in the Claremore area.

:welcome. Sounds like you have a good start with your flock. Happy to see you joining us.

I have my first run-in with the feed directive today. I was looking for a poultry vet in Rogers County. That was a big fat fail! Only one is and only if he has too! I'm now looking for one in All of Oklahoma? Apparently, I will have to drive to Stillwater to get meds, if the vet doesn't keep it in-house anyway. Any help would be appreciated.

I get most of my meds from Orschelyns or Atwoods because that's were I live (an hr north of you) and it's what's close. I wouldn't worry about a vet to much. 2 reasons most problems you have can be answered here Nana is amazing with experience most any meds you need can be picked up at Atwoods. The other thing that is not so good is that some should perish and you will have a stronger more disease tolerant to your area raising from the ones you raised without all the anibiotics.

​I get most of my meds from Orschelyns or Atwoods because that's were I live (an hr north of you) and it's what's close. I wouldn't worry about a vet to much. 2 reasons most problems you have can be answered here Nana is amazing with experience most any meds you need can be picked up at Atwoods. The other thing that is not so good is that some should perish and you will have a stronger more disease tolerant to your area raising from the ones you raised without all the anibiotics.

These were my show birds that cost quite a bit. I needed Tylan Powder for the water. I ended up giving them the injection of Tylan 50 cause I couldn't get the other. Hopefully, they make it. I've never had this problem. I just bought them a week ago from a breeder.

I have my first run-in with the feed directive today. I was looking for a poultry vet in Rogers County. That was a big fat fail! Only one is and only if he has too! I'm now looking for one in All of Oklahoma? Apparently, I will have to drive to Stillwater to get meds, if the vet doesn't keep it in-house anyway. Any help would be appreciated.

You might not want to use the poultry vet with his attitude...
It is not a matter of "if he has to..." comply with the feed directive...it is the law. There is paperwork most don't want to devote the time required.

Talk to your feed suppliers. They already know what certificates you need by Jan 1. They might know which vets can help you. For feed, you need the certificate for medicated feeds.

Any livestock vet can take your feed regimen and work with you. A vet that is overseeing cattle feed already knows the ropes.
Write down the feed regimen you follow. Attach copies of the ingredient list from the feed sacks. Make a list of the medications you use with your poultry and why you use them...any off label use needs an explanation.
Then sit down with your vet of choice to get the Certificate you need for your feed suppliers. Most will be 6 month certificates.
Our vet is in Prague and has already distributed information packets to his customers about the feed/medication directive.

You might not want to use the poultry vet with his attitude...
It is not a matter of "if he has to..." comply with the feed directive...it is the law. There is paperwork most don't want to devote the time required.

Talk to your feed suppliers. They already know what certificates you need by Jan 1. They might know which vets can help you. For feed, you need the certificate for medicated feeds.

Any livestock vet can take your feed regimen and work with you. A vet that is overseeing cattle feed already knows the ropes.
Write down the feed regimen you follow. Attach copies of the ingredient list from the feed sacks. Make a list of the medications you use with your poultry and why you use them...any off label use needs an explanation.
Then sit down with your vet of choice to get the Certificate you need for your feed suppliers. Most will be 6 month certificates.
Our vet is in Prague and has already distributed information packets to his customers about the feed/medication directive.

Maybe that's where I'm struggling. The feed store told me I will have to drive to Stillwater to pick up meds like Tylan Powder. They will not be a "script store"? I'm so confused by all this. I will gladly drive to Prauge. I've never had to use an antibiotic on my birds until today. It's not something I would normally put in the water.

Maybe that's where I'm struggling. The feed store told me I will have to drive to Stillwater to pick up meds like Tylan Powder. They will not be a "script store"? I'm so confused by all this. I will gladly drive to Prauge. I've never had to use an antibiotic on my birds until today. It's not something I would normally put in the water.

Have you exposed your old birds to the new ones? I'm so sorry you bought sick birds. I would be pretty upset. There are very few people I would trust to buy birds from because of reasons like this. I wish you lots of luck in dealing with everything.

Have you exposed your old birds to the new ones? I'm so sorry you bought sick birds. I would be pretty upset. There are very few people I would trust to buy birds from because of reasons like this. I wish you lots of luck in dealing with everything.

No, I quarantine everything I've ever bought. They showed no signs of illness when I bought them and it's the first time it's happened. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

My hatchling laid her first egg today! :) She was hatched June 1st, so I think she made good timing with it. I happened to go out and check on them as she was laying, and I'm super excited for her! She's a Speckled Sussex (roo) x Production red mutt, so I'm excited to see how she'll do as layer.

Amazon carries a lot of that stuff and for antibiotics look at fish antibiotics too which can be had cheaply online

Back
Top Bottom