***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Jarrod I don't have a 9300 or any auto turner but I'd plug the holes when you pull out the turner and try to get one more degree 99. You should have still have had some hatch.
Sorry about the trouble. A month wait for nothin stinks.

Little Humor for the day

I'm having incubator issues. set my chicken eggs in my little giant , 9300 still air incubator, on the 3 of February and hatch day was supposed to be the 24st, i took automatic turner out 3 days b4 hatch day just like the directions said, my temp stayed at 98 an my humidity wouldn't stay past 60. I'm using a still air, and it has holes in the bottom but do i need to plug them up? all my water runs out when i add water, i left the eggs till today cause they were stinking. so i opened them an one was rotten, and the other two had chicks in them but I'm i think had died on the 18th day:(. should i plug the holes? should i place a hand held little fan inside? please some one help me:(
Sorry about your hatch.

I have a still air that I use for hatching and two Hobabators for incubating, but have used the still air for incubating too.

First, what kind of thermometer are you using?
Even for a still air incubator, 98 is too low....should be 99 to 99.5. If the thermometer is not accurate or calibrated, then you could actually be way low on the temperatures. The chicks will slowly develop but take too long for hatching. The thermometers that come with the incubators (attached to a plastic sheet) are not always accurate because they slide thru the wires holding the glass tube to the plastic. I use small restaurant meat thermometers and a battery digital thermometer in each incubator.

As for the water....You can purchase plastic incubator liners for $10 on Amazon or from Strombergs. They are reusable. These would hold the water for the humidity.
If your incubator is styrafoam, you may have trouble sealing the holes on the bottom since most glues will melt it and aquarium seal might also.
You can increase the humidity by placing a damp sponge in the incubator. Run a tiny tube thru the wall of the incubator at a corner and use a syringe to dribble water thru it to the sponge.

Sterilize the insides of your incubator and the egg turner before setting your next set of eggs.
I use a 50% Gold Listerine (the old Listerine) and water to spritz the inside walls ...protect the electrical parts. Wipe down the insides and let it air dry. I also spritz the eggs just at setting and allow them to air dry to sanitize them. You could use 10% bleach or 10% Oxine solution.

Hopefully, others will chime in with some advice and encouragement. We have all had bad hatches and it is frustrating.

I'm having incubator issues. set my chicken eggs in my little giant , 9300 still air incubator, on the 3 of February and hatch day was supposed to be the 24st, i took automatic turner out 3 days b4 hatch day just like the directions said, my temp stayed at 98 an my humidity wouldn't stay past 60. I'm using a still air, and it has holes in the bottom but do i need to plug them up? all my water runs out when i add water, i left the eggs till today cause they were stinking. so i opened them an one was rotten, and the other two had chicks in them but I'm i think had died on the 18th day:(. should i plug the holes? should i place a hand held little fan inside? please some one help me:(
I'm sorry that is so disappointing. I have heard of people putting in a wet sponge to up humidity, remoistening it every few days.

During spring break we will be in SE Oklahoma looking at land plots to buy for an eventual homestead. I know it's not chicken related, but I'm getting excited. The places we're looking at are undeveloped, mountain land, so it will take a lot of work, planning, and probably at least a couple of years to get it ready to move in permanently. We're looking to get between 10 and 20 acres. It will be nice to make an escape from the metro.

Last edited:
My trio of ducks have started laying eggs! So far each duck hen has laid one egg. Morris (Pinky) has been doing what a good drake does. So the eggs are fertile. They are just under 6 months.
The eggs are not the same color as the ones they hatched from. They were a pale gray while these eggs are almost a creamy white. So I'm not sure what will hatch when I collect for hatching.
I'm thinking ducks beginning lay are like pullets...small eggs at start that get larger later.

Baby chicks are hatching under hens in the barn and the incubator eggs are running 99% fertility at candling.

During spring break we will be in SE Oklahoma looking at land plots to buy for an eventual homestead. I know it's not chicken related, but I'm getting excited. The places we're looking at are undeveloped, mountain land, so it will take a lot of work, planning, and probably at least a couple of years to get it ready to move in permanently. We're looking to get between 10 and 20 acres. It will be nice to make an escape from the metro.

That is really exciting! My wife and I just purchased 20 beautiful acres in Washington state and we plan on homesteading it very soon. Much work and planning, as you say but so worth it IMHO. Very best wishes to you and yours~!

Back
Top Bottom