***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
are you feeding her medicated feed? such as medicated chick starter it sounds like star gazer syndrome due to a build up of the medication in her body. if this is the case if you remove all medicated feed or supplements from her diet she should slow return to normal. it also could be wire neck due to a vitamin deficiency. if this is the case then follow Betsy's advice I hope this helps you.

Thanks for reply. Have never fed medicated feed to any of my chickens. Don't understand why she is the only one with a problem, and was a little worried that the rooster might have hurt her somehow. She never twists her neck upward when it happens, doesn't put her head under her wing, and never walks backwards if that means anything.

I bought Vitamin E with Selenium which I could only find in soft gel form. It says "with 1600 mg lecithin" .... which I don't know what that is. Vitamin E (as d-Alpha Tocopherol) 400 IU, Selenium (as Yeast-Free I-Selenomethioine) 100 mg, and Lecithin 1,600 mg. Other ingredients: Softgel (Gelatin, Glycerin), Soy Oil and Yellow Beeswax. Figure that is not important as she is not going to swallow capsules. So, do I puncture one capsule and squirt it's entire contents into water? How much water? Do I separate this hen and have her drink it alone? Or, is it ok if all the hens drink it? Please advise me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Okies! I'm new to this Site and I'm seeking answers. My baby chick has hatched with part of its yolk sack un absorbed, I've got wrapped up in a wet viva paper towel and still in the bator. What do I do now? Please help

Hello fellow Okies! I'm new to this Site and I'm seeking answers. My baby chick has hatched with part of its yolk sack un absorbed, I've got wrapped up in a wet viva paper towel and still in the bator. What do I do now? Please help
How much yolk sack? Does it have a hernia? Has it dried, or is it still wet from hatching? Are there others hatching w/ it?

Kassaundra, The chick is now dry and very little Yolk is hanging out its navel. It seems to be responding some what, not much. It's drank some water, with help and resting in the brooder

has anyone candled an egg on the 10th day of incubation that its real dark when candled and looks globby? there is no blood ring, and air sac is good, it kind of looks like day 16, except its globby looking. some darkness is lighter in some spots then others.... does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Kassaundra, The chick is now dry and very little Yolk is hanging out its navel. It seems to be responding some what, not much. It's drank some water, with help and resting in the brooder
When they have a difficult hatch like that warmth and rest are really important for the first 12 - 24 hours especially. I have had ones I KNEW had no chance but kept them in the "icu" the incubator, b/c the booder was to rowdy w/ young vital chicks and the added time and rest has done them wonders.

has anyone candled an egg on the 10th day of incubation that its real dark when candled and looks globby? there is no blood ring, and air sac is good, it kind of looks like day 16, except its globby looking. some darkness is lighter in some spots then others.... does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?
Sorry no clue, but I do candle at day 10.

Back
Top Bottom