***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Dont do it, once you start hatching it is an addiction. You will drive far and wide just to find hens that are setting so you can get your hatching fix. Then before you know it you will buy an incubator. You will start small, like the little styro jobs at tractor supply. But anyone can tell you, tho they seem harmless, they are a gateway incubator. You will be scanning craigslist late at night looking for the big cabinet models. You will move closer to people like Carl that hatchs hundreds of eggs, just so you can visit and inhale that fuzzy dust that comes out of the bator. I will put you on our watch list. Please be carefull.
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
Gateway incubator!

Last edited:
I see a flaw in your process. You should set muscovy duck eggs week one, guinea eggs week two and then set your chicken eggs on week three, and have a nice big hatch on day 35. :)
ROFL! We don't have any ducks yet and no pen for them either. Of course that is the way your supposed to do it right? Ducks, then pen, haha

Dont do it, once you start hatching it is an addiction. You will drive far and wide just to find hens that are setting so you can get your hatching fix. Then before you know it you will buy an incubator. You will start small, like the little styro jobs at tractor supply. But anyone can tell you, tho they seem harmless, they are a gateway incubator. You will be scanning craigslist late at night looking for the big cabinet models. You will move closer to people like Carl that hatchs hundreds of eggs, just so you can visit and inhale that fuzzy dust that comes out of the bator. I will put you on our watch list. Please be carefull.
lau.gif
I know - I'm on a dangerous path!

Of course! Having the ducks provides the motivation you need to complete the pen. You got it.
LOL well we just strung out string in the yard for the 3 new breeding pens I am building for my barred rocks and my RIR sexlinks and then my hubbies birds are getting a breeding pen for when they get big enough. We have a pond but it is full of turtles and snakes. I don't think ducks are in my future right now but he did say if I find some herritage barred rock or RIR eggs to snap them up. He is getting the hatching bug as well. So if anyone knows of Barred Rock or RIR hatching eggs for sale please oh pretty please let me know. I prefer to buy in Oklahoma or Missouri where I can pick them up myself. I don't want them shipping via USPS, lol. I have to get the eggs before the 23rd of May or after July 5th so need to get busy finding some.

RetiredArmyWife - I'm glad I'm not the only one! I won't be able to keep the chicks from my planned broody experiment since there are rules about how many chickens we're allowed in the city limits and I am already more than full up on clucks. I am really just tired of trying to break broody hens out of their hormone-induced mania by taking them off the nest every 30 minutes - I figure it will be easier just to let her set on some fertile eggs.

Happy Birthday, Bill, to one of the nicest guys I know!!! I hope your hatch is a good one.
Old Cowboy is right-hatching is so so so addicting. I hatched my Cochin babies last July and patted myself on the back all fall and winter wondering why these "other folks" had no self-control when it came to their incubators. Then Carl hatched 2 batches for me....then thought maybe I should try a hatch just to see if I could get it right. So I got 1 little 10-egg incubator. Before it even got here I had run out of room for all the eggs I wanted to "get right" so I ordered a 24-egg incubator. This is so wrong in so many ways yet still I can't stop browsing Ebay and BYC for eggs. It's the candling. That's what makes it so addictive. Shining the light into those eggs and seeing the tiny bodies jumping up and down. Sigh.
Now I'm wanting to start gathering up a hatch from my Faverolles boy and the Faverolles girl I got from Mike D last summer. Both are really nice looking and the 1 cockerel I've got from this roo is beautiful and big and strong, he looks good. Do you all think I'd have any luck selling any males? Should I retire the incubators for the summer after my Ameraucanas hatch? Or should I hatch out some LF Faverolles???
gig.gif

Happy Birthday, Bill, to one of the nicest guys I know!!! I hope your hatch is a good one.
Old Cowboy is right-hatching is so so so addicting. I hatched my Cochin babies last July and patted myself on the back all fall and winter wondering why these "other folks" had no self-control when it came to their incubators. Then Carl hatched 2 batches for me....then thought maybe I should try a hatch just to see if I could get it right. So I got 1 little 10-egg incubator. Before it even got here I had run out of room for all the eggs I wanted to "get right" so I ordered a 24-egg incubator. This is so wrong in so many ways yet still I can't stop browsing Ebay and BYC for eggs. It's the candling. That's what makes it so addictive. Shining the light into those eggs and seeing the tiny bodies jumping up and down. Sigh.
Now I'm wanting to start gathering up a hatch from my Faverolles boy and the Faverolles girl I got from Mike D last summer. Both are really nice looking and the 1 cockerel I've got from this roo is beautiful and big and strong, he looks good. Do you all think I'd have any luck selling any males? Should I retire the incubators for the summer after my Ameraucanas hatch? Or should I hatch out some LF Faverolles???
gig.gif
You're asking *US*?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom