***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I was very tempted to take home a silkie, but I was surprised my girls were more interested in naked necks. You guys talk to much I can't possibly keep up. Have I missed much?

Ya'll I had to post some information that I just dug up. Of course, I just bought and paid shipping on my first gallon so everyone jump in and tell me what all I am going to want to go clean with the stuff and what all it can/should be used for...

There is a place in Central Oklahoma where you can walk in and buy Oxine AH. I had no idea, and would not still have known had a hail mary email not finally coughed up some usable information.

35.00/gallon (and they can get the quart size and she is going to find out that price and put it in the computer)
Just call Brandy before you drive there and make sure she has what you need in stock.

I told her I was going to post this on the internet and she did not seem alarmed at all....which kinda surprised me. I personally consider those to be quite chilling words in almost any context...but she gave permission so there you have it.

Professional Animal Health
2005 South Main Street Newcastle, OK 73065

Hours M-F 6 am - 5pm
They don't answer the phone on Wednesdays as that is surgery day.

Off to fetch children and play taxi.

Kelly
PS...anyone who ended up with some of those chickens from me at POOPS tell me how they are adjusting to their new homes? ....sebright roo with ? hen and dark cornish bantams? ring a bell? Poco how are the trees...any live? Coral, my girl is doing so well....did almost everyone at POOPS take home a Silkie?

I will call we use Oxine here, I spray all brooders between each batch of chicks, spray all coops down every other weekend with it. Anytime I have a bird that I think it even looks like it is sick I spray. I wash water dishes for the birds every other friday and then dip them in oxine to kill any germies hiding still. I was going to order some oxine today online, I may still have to order online since they are in Newcastle but hubby may be making a trip that way tomorrow so if he is I will send him to get some if they have it. We buy it by the gallon

We didn't end up bringing home "a" silkie we brought home 4!!! They are growing so fast and quickly growing on me. My 14 year old son loves them and he is quickly getting them spoiled. I think his banty cochins may be getting jealous, lol.

Put me on the list for being a sucker for Silkies, too. Mine looks just like yours, Bird/Wire (Kelly?) I'm scared to put her with my other Silkies because they had been in with some who had gotten sick. So she's in the Misfit Pen with young new birds and is doing great, beautiful birds. I think my favorite bird from the past few months at auctions or anywhere is probably the tiny Crele OEGB cockerel. He's in the Misfit Pen also and is so adorable to all the girls who are twice his size :)
Edit: I meant to add he's real bow-legged and was only $7 at the auction but to me he's worth way more than that lol

Last edited:
We just found the female Guinea (that I kept because I thought it was a male) sitting on a ton of eggs under a one of those pull behind trailers, we have a male also. These guys free range, the babies will get picked off by predators, correct? Is there something I should do to contain them? I don't want baby Guineas but I'd feel pretty bad just letting the little ones get killed. I could put chicken wire up around the trailer. That would contain the babies and I could get ahold of them. What do you all do?

Someone with first-hand experience will know better, but my folks always stole the keets from any "open range" hatches as they appeared and put them in a brooder of some sort.

I just changed the bedding in the keet hutch I'm keeping the 16 week-old guinea keets in (thanks jcatblum/Christina & Taron). I took them out and put them in a box while I changed out their newspaper/alfalfa bedding. Each and every one screamed bloody murder at the top of their tiny lungs when I reached in and grabbed them. How does something that little make a noise that loud? (age-old question asked by anyone who has ever cared for a child/kitten/keet/chick/puppy) Everyone in the neighborhood probably now thinks I was slaughtering toddlers in my backyard. A police car just drove by and the officer in it was looking at my house.

On Mars, the Guinea Fowl's home planet, I guess there aren't many predators.

Photo
00a9.png
Scotch Macaskill
Caption: Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris) close-up showing its brightly-colored head and neck, Kruger National Park, South Africa.
00a9.png
Scotch Macaskill

Last edited:
Someone with first-hand experience will know better, but my folks always stole the keets from any "open range" hatches as they appeared and put them in a brooder of some sort.

I just changed the bedding in the keet hutch I'm keeping the 16 week-old guinea keets in (thanks jcatblum/Christina & Taron). I took them out and put them in a box while I changed out their newspaper/alfalfa bedding. Each and every one screamed bloody murder at the top of their tiny lungs when I reached in and grabbed them. How does something that little make a noise that loud? (age-old question asked by anyone who has ever cared for a child/kitten/keet/chick/puppy) Everyone in the neighborhood probably now thinks I was slaughtering toddlers in my backyard. A police car just drove by and the officer in it was looking at my house.

On Mars, the Guinea Fowl's home planet, I guess there aren't many predators.
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

They say that nessecity is the mother or invention. Well I needed a way to make my yogurt and didn't want the expense of buying a yogurt maker or having to store it in my small kitchen, Every type of pan/cooker I tried got to hot, so I took my light out of my cookie tin heater and a ceramic flower pot and put a pan on top and it is the perfect temperature! Woo Hoo.

Back
Top Bottom