***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hey all! Been a bit since I have been on. Been busy with work and all other things in the life. We are working on a new coop for our Cochin Bantams and other bantams. It is going to be the Hotel de la Chocins!

I also have something wrong with my last silkie. I had 3. One was sick so I isolated it in a cage outside and a dog came and tore up the cage and killed it. THe other died 2 days ago. Now the other has been isolated for a week now. One of her feet seems to be paralyzed. She can't walk on it well and usually face plants when she does. I got her out this morning to hold her and found this covering her eye.

I tried to wash it off at first but got freaked out because I thought it was her eye. So I was googling what it could be and she shook her head and it came out. I had noticed it started pushing out of her eyelid after I washed some gunk off. Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

Gunmamma, sorry about your silkies, I have no idea about the eye goo, I do remember reading a post a while back about a chicken that kept oozing eye goo like that and would fling it when she shook her head, but I don't think the poster ever posted the "end of the story"

The incubator temps are finally set it took over a day of adjustments but they are now sitting at 99.5 and haven't budged. Just got the hydrometer today and am calibrating it as we speak. Gary is picking up my eggs on Sat so I think I'll set them on Sun.

Had a morning FULL of appointments. Now I need a rest! While i was busy, my sister attempted to help the kids w their school work, poor kids! She got them all confused!

Kass don't set the eggs on Sunday unless you know you will be off the 20-22 days after. You will want to sit & watch each one hatch, so make sure to plan your sets with your work schedule! I was thinking you normally work weekends.

And my eggs *always* hatch a day early in both my Brinseas-do yours, Christina? So if I were you I'd set according to Christina's plan.
Gunmama-it sounds respiratory unless its an eye infection from an injury. Tylan50 injections is always the 1st thing I try.

Yep most eggs in the Brinsea seem to hatch by day 21-- so if they were sat on sunday they would begin hatching Saturday. I know Kass has said she works Saturdays, so unless you can take the incubator to work, might want to wait on setting the eggs!
I have had a late hatch, DD took the incubator to school & the A/C was blowing close to the bator. They were really slow to hatch & 2 days late-- but we still got a good hatch.

Hi every one haven't been on in a while hope every one and their chickens did ok through the heat. I have added Oegb's and turkeys and puffy cheeks (Americanas) since I last was on here so flock is growing rapidly :) lol that's ok tho I love to sit and watch them in the evenings it's like chicken tv

Thanks for the heads up guys, Monday it is so I can watch the hatch on Sund.
Hey Kass, I'm hatching too. I've borrowed a LG forced air with turner. I really should stop reading everything about hatching because I'm getting confused and worried now. I have 9 or more Swedish Flower eggs coming. I would supplement that with my own eggs but I'm not sure the rooster is up to full speed yet. Hoping to set them on Monday. I need to get them hatched and out before I go into have a little surgery done. That way sweet man will only have to care for them for a few days I'd like to hear how your hatch goes.

Hey Kass, I'm hatching too. I've borrowed a LG forced air with turner. I really should stop reading everything about hatching because I'm getting confused and worried now. I have 9 or more Swedish Flower eggs coming. I would supplement that with my own eggs but I'm not sure the rooster is up to full speed yet. Hoping to set them on Monday. I need to get them hatched and out before I go into have a little surgery done. That way sweet man will only have to care for them for a few days I'd like to hear how your hatch goes.
Cool we can be hatching buddies.

Back
Top Bottom