Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The kind that have yellow centers
lol.png

Good Morning okies Sun is up, goats are out ..and mud is everywhere.. Spring where are you?

Don
cool.png

frow.gif
Don, good to see you. I appear to be in spring, green stuff (aka weeds) sprouting out of the ground and decent weather (55-65). Of course all the rain that we have been getting has something to do with the flora and we will probably pay for it later in the year if things dry out and wildfire season kicks in. I can't really recommend that thing you and I talked about last year as I couldn't tell that it work. I thought that maybe it work but didn't really keep up with using it consistently and on what I did do I had mixed results.

BTW, on the egg color thing, but you can't always go by earlobe color. I hate to throw a kink in the theories but our Penedesenca hen, who has white earlobes (Empordanesas too), lays a nice dark brown (at least a 7+ on faeries's chart, but probably between a 8-9) and I'm still waiting for a turquoise egg
lol.png
from the Silkie.

POOPS is on,
thumbsup.gif
cool! Don't leave yet Monty.

oh i am just having fun at this kids expense over his chicks......i had no clue as to how to tell the color before.....but the ear thing popped up and by the looks of the ear golden......lol

Hi City, I know that I can't commiserate really at all but I am experiencing mucky run syndrome
sickbyc.gif
which is really abnormal for me. Guess what though, more rain in the forecast today, tomorrow, and Sat. I wished that I could pull off POOPS too and who knows? I really want to meet up with Big Q sometime this week though.

Have a great day all. Oh and broccoli is just little trees, worked for my kids, they love it. (Cauliflower is just white trees!)
wink.png

Last edited:
Good morning Okies!
caf.gif

Wouldn't you know it... Got power back on Sunday just in time for superbowl..lol.. But just now getting my internet back up and running..

For those that knew I took a chance on running my incubators... We lost power and I kept my eggs covered under a quilt and Infront of the fire place for 24 hours until I could get somewhere with power... I am having eggs hatching like crazy... I have black australorps, Americanas, and Rhode Island Reds... I guess my Silver lace wyandottes didnt make it.. They were the only ones that didnt hatch... Crazy huh?

Well, Doing laundry and moving critters back out of the house and to the barn since the winter weather is over,,, This house looks like the barn since all the ice and snow...

Quote:
Yeah I heard it... but I'm choosing to ignore it
big_smile.png
I also heard that it was going to be "flurries", not like the major two storms that came in (and I'm not counting yesterday because it was mostly gone by the time I got off work).

Quote:
oh and they are straight run chicks.

As a general rule, chickens with white ears will lay a white egg and chickens with red, blue or any other color ear will lay a tinted egg that will be tinted anything from beige to dark brown to light blue to dark green. I think that with your other questions you have correctly pointed out that just because a chicken has ears, doesn't mean it will EVER lay an egg (roosters, pullets that never quite get with the egg laying program) and the ear color doesn't begin to demonstrate the shade of brown that will be laid by a chicken that typically lays a brown egg.

Egg laying results of the parents are usually a fairly good indicator of what will happen egg wise in the offspring, but that can vary as well, depending on the background of the parents and what combination of characteristics combine. If the same combination came up each and every time, we would only breed show birds with the characteristics of the Standard of Perfection and each chick that hatched would be a prize winner. It just doesn't work that way.
roll.png

Quote:
Why do we want to learn about electricity...I mean it is cool and all but what does that have to do with chickens? It is fun to sneak up on them and shock their ears but I heard that makes them stop laying golden eggs
cool.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom