Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok as promised here is the short version of Al's Homemade Ravioli from scratch. Some of the more complex things are kinda hard to explain as all of my Italian recipes are just in my head and not written down but you will get the idea of it.

I started by getting my Sauce going or as we call it in Italian=Sugo totaly from scratch complete with some homemade meatballs. This sauce takes 5 hrs to make before being ready.
10364_img_1040.jpg

Next the fresh Italian Boule comes out of the oven to cool.
10364_img_1045.jpg

This is the Filling for the Ravioli, Homemade Ricotta cheese, I make it here at home because I can't buy it the way it's made back home so I just make it from scratch in my own kitchen. It has chopped spinach, finely ground pork (browned first), 4 egg yokes, aged Asiago cheese, aged Romano cheese, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well and set in fridge to firm up a bit.
10364_img_1042.jpg

My trusty Pasta machine, We use it on a weekly basis as we always make fresh pasta never store bought. you can get them at any specialty shop but the good ones like this can be a little pricey. I use this machine to roll out the pasta, you can roll it out with a rolling pin too.
10364_img_1046.jpg

To make the pasta dough, put the flour in a large bowl and make a well inside it, next add the eggs I use only the yokes for a richer tasting texture. this dough only consist of eggs & flour that's all, so you can't really mess it up and you can find the exact amounts in any recipe book, I just go by the feel of the dough. I also add the essence from the chopped spinach super finely ground into the dough to give it a cool green color.
10364_img_1047.jpg

Now I start to form the dough and incorperate the color and texture by running it through the machine several times folding and flouring as you go until just right, fold the dough and let rest 10 min.
10364_img_1049.jpg

Now with long wide swaths of pasta layed out I spoon drop the filling onto the dough, brush the edges with a little water to bind the top piece of dough and gently form to remove any air pockets, then cut into circles with any old bisquit cutter. Go around the edges with a fork and seal the edges, set aside to dry briefly until all are done. this batch made 10 doz, we like them at our house LOL.
10364_img_1051.jpg

Now the water has to be a rolling boil salted with a teaspoon of the nectar of the god's (Olive oil) added to preserve the color of the pasta. now you can gently slide in your round disk of wonderment for about 4-5 min tops no more, drain in a collendar and serve.
10364_img_1053.jpg

The finished plated Coup de Gra, top with some grated Romano cheese and prepare to be amazed at the wonderful texture and rich flavor of these Ravioli's.
10364_img_1055.jpg

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do, they are a staple in our home and I would never think of being without a doz or 5 in case of an imprompdue knock on the door at dinner time LOL.

AL

Quote:
We can't possibly enjoy it as much as you since we can only imagine the taste. Torture, torture, torture.
I can make a decent sauce since I grow my own herbs and I must say I make the best pie crust I know but that is about it.

MM - Thank you for sharing your experience. Too often we only think about, talk about, and remember the bad things.

BetsyOK - I sent you a PM.

Anyone in the North East part of Oklahoma planning to go to Fletcher for the auction and pot luck? I'd love to go, but I can't make it happen unless I carpool. My old truck isn't running well enough, but I could drive my trusty Matrix if I can find a passenger who will be able to tolerate my constant talking. I can fit quite a few cages in the back of the Matrix. I don't know what I will bring for sale, but I'm interested in some of the birds already consigned. I've got a hankerin to bake a couple of pecan pies for the pot luck.

Al - that ain't right...and you can eat all you want around me...just let me have a taste once and awhile and remind me that I like new jeans!

Well I had a blast...not sure who had more energy...Hot dog or Kwartel's little one (Greyson?) they were a hoot! Clayton and Jared had a ball...I got filled in on their adventures as we drove...by the way...my kid can snore! LOUD!!! He kept me up most of Sat. night...Mr. Mike was overly generous as always! P&B was her wonderful helping self...that lady is welcome to help me pack anytime!

Well let's see what I ended up with...I think I bought 22 chickens...4 rooster went to Mike...13 to one friend and 5 are in my pen (most of them game from Mike!)...2 geese or gooses or gice...English is a silly language...they went to my buddy for his Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners...he just had a tumor removed from his brain..found out that they removed the inner ear parts because the tumor had disolved the bones...he can't be a peace officer anymore...sad deal...um...I think i got a total of 5 rabbits...hopefully I can get these to do things with each other...if you know what I mean...I got 4 guieane pigs...I spell that differently every time...didn't realize it but they have brown on them...colors I didn't have!!!! 7 parlor tumblers...love them birds...auctioner just didn't get my hatred of the black birds...of course they also didn't understand my two little white birds...if I ever find out who makes those that bird is gone...best of all...maybe...I got another call duck drake...it is a strange color so I had to have it...Jim knew which one I was getting as soon as I had the bid and was walking up and only wanted one...

Check that best part...that was hanging with friends! What a crew!

Quote:
hugs.gif
so does that mean you might be interested in a sale or trade lol
big_smile.png

frow.gif

I'm afraid not, he is a special roo for us & will live out his life here over any other roo. His girls are very flighty & not easy to catch, they are part of the layer flock. I'm sorry.

hey Teach, congrats on the loss! that's something you don't say often! being nosey, how much are the guinea pigs going for out there?Are the pigeons rollers or tumblers??The winning roll at our show competition was 200 and something feet!

Quote:
What about Shawnee??? I could hug the stuffins out of you there!

I think i averaged out at around a little over $5 per...lots better than the $30 at a pet store! As far as being tumblers or rollers (just between you and me...I don't know the difference...one guy who i respect told me they were rollers...then another guy who I didn't ask for an opinion from but thought he should give it to me told me there was no such thing that they were tumblers...then there were these other guys...) So...seeing as how you are a guy I respect...what is the difference?...if there is one...I haven't rolled them yet...they were a little freaked...200 feet is cool! I heard of a guy that sells his birds $1 per foot rolled...he has $100+ birds...I ain't ready for that yet but I sure like the ones I have...these originated from the Bob from Amarillo, TX that passed recently

Wamp Wamp, I'm not making Shawnee either. You will have to save my hugs till POOPS unless you make another auction that I am can be at.

I would like to take POCO up on the car pool to Fletcher but I can't justify going while we are in crunch time with the house.

Teach - glad to see that you made it home safely.
smile.png

As always, it was good to see you and Clayton. He was his usual gentleman self and helped me carry my stuff to the van.

As to packing - it is just like working a jigsaw puzzle that doesn't have a picture - trying pieces different ways until everything fits together. You were a good sport to just let me start moving your pet carriers around in the back of your truck.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom