Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
There werent many at the Jones auction and what they had were about half grown. I can't remember exactly but I think a trio of Royal Palms sold for $15 each and some mixed turkeys sold for $10.

Last edited:
I would love to get some more royal palms, but wonder how hard it would be to add more to the 2 I have now. My female is very territorial. She is not mean to us humans but she can really get ofter the chickens and the dogs. I may try out the Jones auction next time around.

Quote:
I've gotten most of mine off of Craigslist....and pretty cheap too. I use them for breeding hutches for bantams, or to grow out chicks, or isolation or whatever. I'm always watching Craigslist for more...

Yeah I have been watching craigslist too. I managed to find one nice hutch but then the add got flagged, which is nothing new for me. Seems every time I would like to buy something it get flagged. Just my luck.

Two weeks ago, we sold at Chupps. One 7 month old Barred Rock rooster sold for $12. Two pair of 6 month old Doms went for $8 per head.

Three 6 month old dark RIR roosters went for $7 each. I sold one RIR rooster at the house for $10, to someone I met at Chupps last time.

I wasn't sure what the market is right now, but I was satisfied with what I got. The commission seems high to me at 20%, but the barn is always crowded with people.

Here is another crazy thing that sold at Jones.
They sold two cages full of cornish rocks (they called them fryers) that had about 12 to 15 birds in each.
They sold for $13 apiece!!!
Now I know some people want fresh home grown chicken, I understand that, but to pay $13 for one pullet just to eat.?
The more I have thought about the chick thing, I think the buyer must have thought they were getting all of them at that price, although the auctioner made it clear it was 12 times the money.
If that was the case then I bet the buyer was upset when they went to pay out.
The next Jones auction is in two weeks.

Man, at $13 a head, I might sell out and move to one of those islands where the girls don't wear shirts. Nah, even I don't want that many women disappointed in me. Please disregard this post.

-Stimp-

Last edited:
Quote:
I am not much on turkey knowledge but she can certainly lay this time of year. I would doubt she would go broody. But again what do I know?
Maybe love was just in the air.

Dang have I missed you guys... I think I unsubscribed by accident. I finally just searched and realized I am way behind!! DUH! If I had half a brain it would be lonely. I was thinking about the 13 dollar broilers. I wanted to hunt turkey this year. Then I found out that it would be about 70.00 in permits etc.
th.gif
and I thought maybe Walmart ain't so bad. I wanted to do it for the experience and to do something different. But I wasn't ready to spend 70.00. The broiler guy did the same thing without going out and having fun hunting. Sometimes you don't hear the auctioneer clearly... maybe you were right and he screwed up.... that would suck
barnie.gif
. Anyways glad to see you are all stil,l kickin'. Raining here finally. Last night really felt like fall... freezing wind is coming... ahhh for summer. love you guys!

BAWK BAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom