Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see you back. It was really busy on here Saturday but has quieted down the past few days.
Is Victory near Eldorado?
When I was a boy of about 12 I saw the Eldorado girls basketball team play at the state tournament and had an instant crush on a high schooler. I never knew her name or ever saw her again but I was smitten.
I have never been any further southwest than Snyder.
I want to come down that way sometime and go to a rattlesnake hunt.
Do you have a lot of wild turkeys there? I have hunted deer since I was a kid but I have only been turkey hunting twice. I hunt on my dad's placce in Easern Oklahoma.
Monty

Last edited:
We are north of eldorado. We are actually 6 miles west of Altus and one mile north. Yes there are turkeys here. A friend of mine has a gazillion of them, but he has water and scrub... I got nada. But I still love it here. I wish we had moved out here in our 20's so we could have enjoyed it when we were younger. Now we are old... life is over... blah blah blah
rant.gif

BAWK BAWK

Quote:
You just might get some eggs, but like Monty says, I doubt the hen will sit them. If she lays, you could always put them in an incubator.

At the blanchard auction, someone sold 3 dozen hatchable turkey eggs, so they are definitely laying.

As for chickensandmore's question as to how many eggs a turkey will lay in a year, I just looked it up on WikiAnswers, and this is it: The average turkey will lay between 100 and 120 eggs per year and can produce eggs for up to 10 years if well cared for. Production of eggs drops as the turkey ages.

We definitely have too many turkeys, but still haven't separated the 4 breeds we have. Surely we'll have them separated by springtime and should have extras for sale (mostly toms). They sure are getting heavy ... I think the breeds I have are capable of weighing around 35 pounds each.

Carla if you come back this way I still want a tom my will go around 35 lbs too I just put three toms in the freezer I think I have four hens left. With this group of turkeys all they want to do is peck your fingers when walking in my pasture on a walker I got turkeys on both side jumping up and down trying to peck my hands and even in the stalls you don't put your hand on the rails because they will get you. I decided I would butcher the next one that peck my hand so I put three in the freezer and they still haven't learn who the boss is. They are just like kids you can do anything with them are get them to follow you around if they leave your hands alone they would be nice to have around. The Silkies are doing great we never lost any of them.

Quote:
If they figure out what happened to the three that pecked your hands, your turkeys are much smarter than any I have ever owned
idunno.gif

Have you tried swatting at the turkeys with a stick or a buggy whip? I suspect you could turn them into "touch me nots" if you regularly smack them when they get too close.

Last edited:
Just wondering ( have been doing a lot of that the last couple of days) I need more projects I guess...
At any rate how many of you okies participate in the NPIP..
I emailed and asked about information today, I would like to sell eggs and chicks in the spring, and was thinking it would be a good selling point.. what do ya think

Don
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is so funny
lau.gif
You might need a warning sign at your place: WARNING ~ ATTACK TURKEYS!

I noticed quite a few turkeys at the auctions that would bite fingers if you got fingers too close to the cage. None of my 50 plus turkeys has ever tried to bite my fingers. They always try to stay a respectable distance away from me. Thank goodness. I wish I knew what I did to let them know I'm boss! Honestly, I'm not that mean, ugly or smelly! Well, I guess I might be all the above once in awhile.
sickbyc.gif

I'm glad the silkies you got from us are doing well. They should be getting really pretty by now. Also, I'm sure we could find you a good Tom. Maybe I can talk Gerald into another trip to Chupps. He's the boss regarding road trips, and he thinks it's too far a drive for an auction. I sure would like to go again to Chupps though. I want to buy some homemade goodies from the Amish vendors.

These turkeys like to peck anything that has color in it they are about 5 or 6 months old and I had them since they were a few days old and I have proably made them start pecking because of the rough playing we use to do I would set in a chair and play with them. It getting close to November so I decided I would let them decide who goes first.

Quote:
I participate in the NPIP and plan to take the Dept of Ag's training this spring so that I can become a certified tester. I think being able to say that you are NPIP certified for your birds, chicks and hatching eggs is a definate plus for potential buyers.

Quote:
I am NPIP certified. I believe it is a great marketing tool. I will be selling eggs, both hatching and eating, in a couple of months. That is why it's hard to take advantage of some of the bargains you run into at auctions and such. I want to take the class as soon as possible so that I can test my own birds.

-Stimp-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom