Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so far, so good, NO CROWING. He did crow 2 times the week before he got cut. LOL:) No crowing at all since the surgery. And he is definitely the alpha bird in the flock, but not agressive about it. He acts as lookout, attends to any unusual or questionable BAWKing,
D.gif

He eats first, keeps the little ones in line, etc. But he likes to be cuddled, and closes his eyes when we rub or scratch his neck. He peeps at me, what I call a chortle--just a little doll-baby
big_smile.png
The other roo, the exact same age & breed (cochin) is really aggressive about his manhood and last week even got a bird down by the ear for blood.....repeatedly!!!!! ( I really am well aware that sparring and so forth are normal rooster behaviors.) The one I didn't get fixed crows all the flippin time
barnie.gif
, which ain't cool as I'm smack-dab in the middle of downtown. That is why we got the caponization done on "Brother" in the first place. The vet even said, he thought if he'd been his, he would have kept him in town too!!!!! The
vet also said that since the boy was so sweet in the first place, his personality would most likely stay intact & since we got him fixed under 3months of age & he wasn't really crowing full blown yet, he won't start now. Dr. Guilslider charged, gulp....$200.00. He used a laser for surgery, gas for anaesthsia, gave him a shot for pain & sent some pain meds home for him. I'll have to take the stitches out if I don't want to drive back to Claremore next week. The price is a little steep, but the vet's major in college was poultry science, his practice is on exotic animals of all kinds, but he especially does a lot of birds---he knows what he is doing. I've read such horror stories about people caponizing without anaesthesia or pain meds, and that the mortality rate for home-jobs is around 50%. Probably due to shock & the fact that the testes are loosely attached to the vena-cava, the large vein that goes up & down through the whole body. Anyway, despite our best intentions, the little guys personality is soooo endearing, we just had to keep him.
love.gif
Who knew roosters could be so sweet and have such personality. My 2 silkie roosters aren't anywhere near this loveable & I have cochin pullet around the same age that is flat evil!!!!!
hu.gif

lashawnb, oh I wish you hadn't told me about this... My hubby and I moved into town recently, and I only have two stow away chicks hiding out in my garage now. I'm hoping that they're both hens, so I can keep them in town. But now that I know there's an alternative...
lol.png

My hubby was SO against me trying to keep the chickens in town, but he just gave me his list of reasons why we SHOULD get to keep them! I guess the cost of caponization made him come to a compromise.
lol.png

Carla, So what town are you in now? I know life gets complicated sometimes & things change. It's too bad you
had to leave/lose your old flock. You know, I called our animal control in Bartlesville to get a permit for my chickens & the police officer I spoke to actually laughed at me. He said as long as I didn't have any roosters crowing to disturb the peace, not to worry about it. He said, "Go ahead lady and get your chickens, we aren't going to be knockin on your door for a few chickens. Dogs make more trouble than chickens ever could!" And basically, that was that. He did say he'd leave a message for animal control to call me back, but not to hold my breath!!!!!! I've read that in Tulsa you can have around 5 or 6 chickens without a permit as long as they are a certain distance from the neighbors.
smile.png
I hope you get to have a small flock at least. Sounds like your hubby is a keeper too!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
You can have up to 6 adults (no mention of roosters or not) and 14 chicks (under the age of 8 weeks). And the coop has to be 50 feet away from any residence.

I've got the ordinance pretty much memorized.
smile.png

And wow, I'm shocked, I'm gone for a few days and there was barely anything to read. What did ya'll do to get too busy to post?

Krysstyll, everyone must be busy winterizing! My chickies will be in the garage for quite a while, maybe through the winter. I don't think Silkies and Sultans are very hardy in the cold.
hmm.png

lashawn, were you asking me? As far as I know Carla hasn't moved. I got married this summer, and we moved into town. And the thing about my hubby is... and don't tell anybody!... He's a cop.
lol.png
When we moved he got to keep his cattle on lease land, and he's felt bad that I couldn't keep my chickens. But pitbulls are a big problem in town, and nobody's gonna care about a couple of quiet little hens.
big_smile.png

Forgot to add, our neighbors moved and left two cats. One is a spayed Calico (wearing a rabies tag) the other is a male Siamese. They are both beautiful and extremely lovey. But we've already got two cats indoors, and I'm worried about these getting cold this winter. If anybody's interested please let me know, I'd be glad to send pics!

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed a dry spell here in OKies too... I wish I could go to chickenstock. It is too far for us for a one day drive and I have to get someone to babysit my mom... she can't be alone overnight. So I am going to Witchita Falls for a MercyMe concert. Then I shouldn't feel so bad. Countryroad I LOVE your avatar... Might have to imitate it when and IF it ever gets cold here... supposed to be in the 30's latter part of the week. Hope all you guys are holding up OK out there... Take care!

BAWK BAWK

It looks like Gerald and I won't go to Chickenstock either
sad.png
It's about a 4 hour drive for us, so I guess we have to decide which poultry auction to go to instead ... Jones or Blanchard or both! If we drop off some chickens at Blanchard, and then go to Jones (which Monty said only lasted about an hour last time) we could catch the last half of the Blanchard auction too! We MUST sell some young birds that we don't intend to keep for breeding. We'll probably auction off some jerseys, silkies, buff orps, guineas, ameraucanas and some tom turkeys. WE definitely have aquired entirely too many birds ... I'm going to blame it all on that incubator! Oh, and it's Gerald's fault too ... well, surely I didn't have anything to do with it.
wink.png

I am SO not ready for cold weather! Gerald is looking forward to the cold ... so the flies & mosquitos will be gone
smack.gif

Cammie, I wouldn't mind adding some more kitties to our menagerie, but I don't know if adult cats would get along with our dogs and other cats. We're up to 5 dogs and 6 cats now. You should put the pic's on here and also put an ad on craigslist for them. Do you still have BUN BUN and is he living in the garage with the 2 chickies? He'll probably like hanging out with the chicks in the yard when they get older.

KT :

What ya up to lately, no work today too nasty outside, but I am getting caught up. I have put the trap out these past days and only got 2 skunks, darn, but i am still trying. Got all the little nooks and crannies sealed up on the Coop yesterday, so no drafts this winter. Have you givin any more thought about combining a chick order this early spring, I am picking out the new birds I want, My flock is just bland right now, looking for some real stunners to dress it up, but no Banty's. what is up with your PROGRAM hehe, thought any more about some meat birds. I plan to go to Cement in Nov but just to hang out, I may buy if I can't live without type bird, who knows.

AL

I really want to get some blues.... I think I am going to head that direction in the spring. If I do anything... I want to get a turkey or two... Bourbon Reds, but I want chicks to raise up as pets. I would like to get a pair if possible. I know what ya mean about nasty out. My hennies are loving it though. Wouldn't be so bad, but for the wind. Mike's program is in the works... but his work schedule is pretty bad right now. He is also studying his last book for his journeyman's license... it's tough... trig etc. and with all the stress at work he has been having a tough time studying. I now know what they mean with the "one bad apple..." statement. Elk City had an ad for a second year apprentice making TWICE what Mike's making. Thought about that... would have to move... and would personally rather move east... not just north. Get some storms!! YEE-HAW! See Y'all.

BAWK BAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom