Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a nice time at the show this weekend. I'm glad that I was able to meet several more Okies and find some more types of birds that I'd like to get. We will be busy when Bil gets back and he is rested up enough to help build more pens. I didn't know that OEGBs came in Mille Fluer, so we will have to have at least a pair of those. I also liked the standard sized game birds, both the American and the Old English. There were a few others that I may have to look into, as well.

Quote:
Listen to your daughter, isolate her, get a bottle of Sulmet at the feed store for her drinking water and put a heat lamp on her. She probably has a touch of cocci from the stress of the trip. Cocci is present in all birds, but normally isn't a problem - unless they're stressed. One of the two Cockerels I picked up at the show also displayed signs of stress related cocci; very loose, watery feces at first, wet fluff under the tail, reluctance to move. He's been in an isolation crate actually on the back porch since I brought him home. He's going to be fine, he's just young and needed a little "boost" to fight the bugs.

Thanks to all that responded! I did the chopped egg & Gatorade. I cant find Sulmet anywhere...but I DID find Corid at Tractor Supply in Mustang. Our TS in Moore doesnt have ANYTHING, except Layena and overpriced Diet Coke. I'm gonna try Corid. She started acting better today, cruising the yard and scratchin around. Gerty was po'd that I was messing with her new chicken and she kept trying to herd this new one back to the coop. I think she is doing better, but I am going to get the Corid anyway just in case. Thanks all!

I bought Sulmet at the Lumber 2 on S Sooner Rd last week. It was the first time I had seen it there.

Edited because trying to type a response on a phone doesn't always put the response in the correct place
hmm.png

Last edited:
would anybody like this handsome guy? He's a blue laced red wyandotte from Blue Poultry that I bought as a day-old. Can't keep roos so he needs a new home. He's been a gentle guy and I think he's quite handsome. He has a straight comb which would not make him ideal for a breeding program. Let me know if anyone is interested! He's 9 weeks old. I'm thinking $3-4 for him?
68702_img_4013.jpg

Last edited:
okracefan - I just use the uploads link at the top of the page. That's the only way I know how to post pics.

buffalogal - Melody? if I remember. Was that you looking for Grace that first evening and Sat AM? If so, I'm Trisha. The one with the kids bringing in the LF Ameraucanas late Fri night.
frow.gif

OkieCritters - Sorry, still haven't found any available. If there were any at the show sale, they were sold and gone before I got around or I missed them. We've got a break before the kids show again and DS's are going into breeder pens. If none have turned up by then, we'll hopefully have some juvies in the spring. If you made the show at all, DS's were over in the Jr AOSB.

There weren't a lot of LF Ameraucanas of any variety there in the show either.
hmm.png
I could have sworn it was to be a district meet too.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking for me, I have a splash rooster found that I am picking up tomorrow. I hope I can find at least a solid black hen or two so I can get my own chicks this spring. Then I will keep my breeders out of them.

Quote:
Titania, I never heard back from you so I thought Carla must have taken them all.
I'll take him if I can ever find time to get up that way to get him.

Last edited:
Started my new girl on Corid 20%. From what I read its anywhere from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per gallon. I went 1/4 teaspoon to a quart for the isolation waterer. about 1 hour after her 1st drik and already looking like the chicken I bought. But I think its a combination of a few things. 1st and foremost, I bought a good chicken from a reputable person. I could tell by the the time it took to drive home (Moore) that she was having issues leaving her roo and buddies. She was sad. You hear about it, but I think taking her out of isolation for a trip to the run with Gerty really helped. Gerty is the Queen of the yard, and took her in with no fighting and let her tag along the usual rounds. So since they both will be on the Corid treated water, I deided no Isolation and BAM, she started to come around a little while ago.

So to sum it up. I got my favorite chicken from the show, she was stressed and sad, my peeps steered me to Corid, she found a new buddy and started to feel better, and I can rest easy tonight and dream about what diaper print goes good with RIR!

Enjoyed meeting everybody at the shawnee show! Kids did well. Had two on champion row, champion aoccl white laced red cornish, reserve american rir pullet large fowl, sorry we didnt make lunch with everyone had to leave because my dad went in the hospital with chest pains and went to go and see how he was doing. So far they are still running test but things look up. Hopefully we will get to catch up with everyone here shortly! On a positive note we bought white and dark large fowl cornish! Been looking for those for the boys for quite sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom