oklahoma city zoning - busted for my chickens!

haleyluna,
I replied to your email as well.... you're welcome to use the slogan, graphics, anythign at all from our site that's helpful. We plan to make the site a resource for other people (with all the materials and research we collected) as soon as our fight is over. Which can't be too soon. We are SO SICK OF THIS. Planning Board meeting last night was terrifically stressful. Vocal opposition, etc. But they passed their small bit, so now it's on the City Council on the 6th. Sheesh.
Stacey

as far as I can tell, the code and laws are assuming the birds are being housed and fed outside ... hmmmm.... build on an extension (specifically for the chickens ...(they will live and be house therefore within the confines of your house and not thus on the land outside ) make sure they are only fed there (since one section deals with them feeding in the code)... surely there is no law that can tell you what may live within the confines of your personl living space/home???

Last edited:
thanks much!

SeaChick, we were thinking of doing that as well!

you guys have some great ideas. my only problem is that my neighbor reported me. if they keep reporting me, i'd keep getting fines and would be in constant fear that the city would come to take the chickens to the pound while i was at work.
sad.png

yea...I was going to say a couple things along that line.

You're a photographer?
- get yourself some chicken diapers and props. Take pictures of your chickens indoors to show they're not Livestock but pets. secondarily begin work on a calendar or something--weren't you already doing something like that?
wink.png

-AFTER some pics...do get the chickens off your property and apply for a variance. With a lot of support from neighbors and community members...you might have better luck doing that than changing the zoning laws themselves.

_Keep your chin up!
hugs.gif

Sandra

This is definitely an interesting post. Our area has been recently annexed. I have a 2 acre yard. I'm wondering if the city will crack down on any of us around here. The neighbors across the street have horses. Their next door neighbor has had chickens and beagles for years and there is a Saddlebred Horse farm/barn two blocks down, a couple who keeps turkeys at the end of the road, another with goats and chickens... basically my entire now "in the city" area is inhabited by folks with livestock. There is the Grandfather clause wich says if you had the critters, -you could keep the critters. I slipped my chickens in back in May hoping no one would notice and report this. I've had chickens before as well as a pony, goats and a pot bellied pig. I'm waiting... and hopefully won't get a notice like yours. It was bad enough that we were mostly annexed against our wishes. Big money grab for the city. Best of luck with your birds and your fight. Lynn

I think the extension (kind of an aviary type thing) is proof enough that they are pets and not livestock (I am not talking about building a large coop onto the back wall of your house but a proper house extension to accomodate your birds)...an automatic door where they can go in and out at will (and keeping their feed INSIDE the aviary annex should get you around the "feeding" reference in the code... the chicken diapers are great idea (photograph them on your couch etc.) give to lawyer... I think that should settle the problem ...
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom