• Spangled

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Mix-variety

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
WOW!! I love all of them, but this mixed guy is super gorgeous!! 😍

Definitely agree with your assessment on them, too. Feisty is a word that I frequently use to describe mine, haha! The boys definitely have that phase they go through, too. :rolleyes: Let's just say, mine get called bad boys (and other, sometimes more colorful words depending on how much they annoy me 🤣 ) a lot through it.
Thanks! I have no idea how he got that coloration- his mother is the hen pictured above of him (who is a cross of the pictured red pyle hen with a white Japanese bantam) and his dad is a white Japanese bantam.
The roos can be brats, but I’m glad that most of mine grew out of it and ended up as gentlemen. :lol:

What methods did you all use to train your game bantam roos? I worked for almost two years on mine and he was still mean. After he started picking on the young chicks and eight-year-old hen he had to go.
Most of mine weren’t actually that aggressive, and they never went to full-on attacks, so it might not work for everyone. I usually would just catch them (which was easy since they were tame) and hold them to the ground for several seconds. Making them feel just a bit less confident usually calmed them down. Also, moving confidently around them, like walking at them instead of around them when they’re in your way, helps as well.

Most of mine weren’t actually that aggressive, and they never went to full-on attacks, so it might not work for everyone. I usually would just catch them (which was easy since they were tame) and hold them to the ground for several seconds. Making them feel just a bit less confident usually calmed them down. Also, moving confidently around them, like walking at them instead of around them when they’re in your way, helps as well.
Thank you, I'll try that sometime!

Some of the OEGBs I’ve had:

Black breasted red (first two the same rooster)-
View attachment 2363858View attachment 2363859View attachment 2363860

Silver duckwing-
View attachment 2363861View attachment 2363862

Red pyle (both the same hen)-
View attachment 2363865View attachment 2363867

OEGB mixes-
View attachment 2363868View attachment 2363869View attachment 2363871View attachment 2363870

Old English game bantams are one of my favorite breeds. However, I’ve only ever had one pure oegb hen, and she was very docile, but obviously poor quality. Her mixed descendants, if female, were feisty. All the oegb roos I’ve had went through a phase where they pecked at my fingers or boots, but most came out of it quickly. The roos are good to their hens and usually do well in rooster-only flocks, though they do have a tendency to be the first ones to pick fights. My mixed roos are usually tame. All my OEGBs, mixed or not, have been full of personality.

OH my goodness! Your first 2 look identical to my Sage and Finley. Such handsome guys!

I have 3 OEGB pullets that lay better than I was expecting. The 3 of them are in a coop with a Pyncheon pullet and 2 to 3 days a week I get 4 eggs, the other days I get 2 to 3. I need to start keeping track as they lay an off white egg and the Pyncheon lays a white egg. They have amazing personalities. My Red Pyle OEGB pullet has already went broody at 4.5 months old but she was very easy to break. My Self Blue OEGB is very shand sweet and my Splash Breasted Red is chatty but so loving and pretty attached (she likes to fly over and land on the top of my head if I have my hair in a bun, hahaha!) to me. My OEGB pullets act like my standard sized chickens are gigantic monsters, so they look to me to protect them and oftentimes fly to me whenever they're worried.
I have 2 OEGB cockerels and like mentioned above, they went through a phase of finger biting and being completely terrified of me, but now they seem to be managing their hormones a bit better. The silver duck wing is the one in charge but honestly, he's not terrible to the other boys (his flock consists of a bantam cochin, a booted bantam, a Japanese Bantam, and a BBR OEGB). They don't like my standard size boys and are pretty relentless in fighting them when they come face to face.
I should share that I don't keep my bantams and large fowl (standard sized) chickens together so that is why they don't get along. That's my fault for not integrating or raising them together.
I absolutely love OEGB and have to say they're a favorite breed of mine. Best of luck to you.
Another side note, @RoostersAreAwesome was able to identify my birds correctly at a young age. They're so knowledgeable about birds, and I value any input shared by them.

A guy is offering these to me for $60. They are 3 months old.
1) Do these look like pure OEG to you?
2) is $60 a good deal for 3 pullets?

Attachments

• A5A7495F-3589-47BE-BF03-17D865B52A96.jpeg
    A5A7495F-3589-47BE-BF03-17D865B52A96.jpeg
    775.1 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom