Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Mix-variety

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Thanks that is useful to know.

I've read such conflicting information when researching the breed about the cockerels and their temperament. I will look to rehome any cockerels I get, but will need them to live in a bachelor group in that inbetween time. Is that realistic?

Thanks that is useful to know.

I've read such conflicting information when researching the breed about the cockerels and their temperament. I will look to rehome any cockerels I get, but will need them to live in a bachelor group in that inbetween time. Is that realistic?

I imagine it depends on the line you get them from, honestly. I've heard both ends of the spectrum, horror stories to complete peace.

I have two bachelor groups of OEGBs at the moment; one with two 2-year-old boys (it was three until last fall, but the third kept attacking me so he had to go) and one with three 10-month-old boys. They seem to do fine with other males as long as they've been raised from a young age together. I did find that there were one or two times as they grew where it was as if their hormones suddenly started raging and I'd have to temporarily pull one of the boys from the group for being beaten up on by the others, but I always kept them in adjacent pens and they all eventually re-merged together. I stopped noticing anything much more than a little bit of a spat every now and then after 6 or 7 months of age in both groups, it seems like.

Basically, it could be fine, but make sure you're prepared with some means of separating them just in case it's needed.

I maybe need to speak to the breeder who sold me the eggs and see what his birds are like.

I've got 3 potential areas I can move birds around in (so long as we don't get another avian flu lockdown this year), so hopefully it will all work out.

I thought I'd start a new chat thread for OEGBs (Old English Game bantams). I love chatting about these spunky little birds!

Here are a couple pictures of Enna and Finn, my Spangled OEGB pair.
View attachment 2246918View attachment 2246919
I thought I'd start a new chat thread for OEGBs (Old English Game bantams). I love chatting about these spunky little birds!

Here are a couple pictures of Enna and Finn, my Spangled OEGB pair.
View attachment 2246918View attachment 2246919
My original six BBR Old English bantams came with our current homestead. When we purchased it. They were basically living wild. They roosted in the trees and survived by foraging in the barn lot. Eating fallen grain and whatever they could find, scratching through leftover hay. I placed a small coop in barn lot, with a feeder next to it. When they got used to eating out of the feeder. I placed it in the coop and was able to trap them. I have since started raising Goldens, Crele and Wheatens.

Attachments

• 0F95DB69-6BAB-4068-8B2F-043108534602.jpeg
    0F95DB69-6BAB-4068-8B2F-043108534602.jpeg
    588.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom