Older pullet and younger roo

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
I have a older pullet that was hatched in May, the roo is approx 2 months old, I want to bring them together in the same coop yet each time I introduce them, she beats him up
he.gif

If the wire is up, she will stay out with him, talks and is happy
love.gif
but upon realizing no wire, in she goes with a vengence
smack.gif

I do not see any real damage, at first today he stood up to her, then turned and ran, and hid in the corner
idunno.gif

Sunday night I plan on putting them together- do you think this is the right way? He is not completely weaned off heat yet as there is a younger "sibling" with him at this time and will be separated Sunday morning.
Can anyone give me suggestions or opinions- I am sure one of the opinions being to let them work this out!
Thanks in advance to any replies, oh, these are Bantam Cochins!
idunno.gif

I had the same problem when I tried to introduce an older hen (5 months) to my young cockerel (3 months). He was absolutely in loove
love.gif
with her and would sit by the fencing all day just watching her (even though he had his own little pullet). As soon as I put them together the hen would chase him all over--even though he was twice her size!
wee.gif
It was pathetic to see that poor guy stuffed into the corner trying to get away from her. I kept them apart for a month so he would mature--now they are fine together, he is just now getting to the point where he is starting to get some respect-- but I don't think he has been able to "get any" from her yet! No use pushing it--give them time.

I recently got a serama cockerel and pullet. She is laying and they are a breeding pair. I tried to integrate the pullet and cock with our Sebright pullet (mrs. C), who is not yet laying. They are all April hatches, the same age. Mrs. C went right for for the cock, ignoring the serama pullet, tooth and nail! Chased him all around the garage, a big garage. He was trying to hide under the lawn mower while she rested on the handle when I grabbed her and calmed her down. The only thing bruised was the cockerels ego. I put him back in his pen with his mate, and Mrs. C stood on the pen with the 6 week old chicks and crowed! The poor little Serama has not crowed since! Has he been immasculated? Can they be introduced again and get along? Mrs. C sleeps on top of their pen. I think she wants to be social. Should I let them try again? Mrs. C free ranges and I'd like her to teach the Serama where everything is. Is that possible?

I would say at 4 months of age introduce them and keep them in a pen with a wire divider, then remove after a week and watch them for a while and he should be ok. If he gets too scared he may never get confidence, so dont rush it.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Its not just in "My Water" haaa haaaa.....oh how terrible, and what a horrible funny thing to watch. I think Scooter would be the same! (FYI Scooter is my avitar)

if she is sleepng on top of their pen i would say she is still dominating them.
when possible the best way to introduce birds is to place them all in a new pen for a short time, then they can go back into the coop.
even a wire cage, anywhere that its new to both.

An update;

Try the re-intro this morning. The 6 month old serama and the 6 week olds were fine together, only a couple of ruffled feathers (they are the same size). It went really well. Mrs. C stood on top of a cage and watched for a very long time, fussing about. She finally got on the floor and started bossing the wee ones first, not much just a bit, then the serama pullet, not much a, no win, then started in on the cock. It wasn't bad but I broke it up, tossed Mrs. C outside and all went back to normal pecking. It is working. Mrs. C was so mad she screamed at me on the deck! Thought the neighbors would rush outside thinking someone was being attacked! I tried to bring her back in but she just screamed at me. She must think I'm cheating on her!

aren't they vocal critters! I allowed Scooter out in the large pen where Penny was over away from him...old eagle eye did a retake and ran for him as if to play and somewhere poor Scooter thought he was done for and hid under my chair.
The young roo and Scooter (the keeper roo) are now in the hutch, I'll add photo's on the coop page if you want to see. Penny is still resisting so she will sleep in the "in-law-apartment" where she has been all along.
If we keep trying, perhaps they will get the picture! Thank you Mr.andMrs.Chicken, its great to have someone else going through this crazy stuff!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom