Olive Egger and egg color

Here are some of my home-grown olive egger pics. Along with some of the welsummers, ISA browns, & Easter Eggers that made the olives. My olives are not as dark as Minky's, which makes perfect sense because i have used welsummer, cuckoo marans, & ISA brown eggs to make the olives. (Dont have any black copper Marans.) But this thread isnt a contest to see who has the darkest olive eggs. (Athough you could make one!) When i answered this thread last year, it was because Meg-in-Mt was disappointed with the egg color of her hatchery-purchased olive egger. And i encouraged you to hatch your own olive eggers if you had the right breeds. Which you did, & now you are happy with your home-grown olive eggs. :) I'm perfectly happy with my olive eggers too. They are plenty dark enough to be considered olive, & i have no ambition to try and make them any darker. The reason i have so many olive egg layers is not because i hatched zillions of welsummer and isa brown eggs, but because for 3 years the lead roo was 1/2 welsummer & 1/2 easter egger. (With one dark brown and one blue gene.) And he made a lot of babies. Meg, i think if you select your darkest eggs to incubate, so long as u have your 1/2 ameraucana/1/2 wyandotte roo, u will get plenty of future olive eggers. As i said, i think All the colors are pretty. I also think it is the other egg colors that really make the olives pop!

Attachments

• 20210330_140129.jpg
    20210330_140129.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210328_150618.jpg
    20210328_150618.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 12
Re the roosters i used, heres how it started. I fell in love with pics of ameraucanas with their cute fuzzy cheeks and feathery beards, & had to have some. Got 30 "ameraucana" sexed pullets from ideal hatchery. (Last time i looked at their website, it still insists they have purebred ameraucanas, but some of the ones i got were clean faced, & some eventually laid green eggs. So they were Easter eggers, which left me a bit disappointed at first, but content with.) When the pullets reached about 14 weeks old, one of the "pullets" started crowing. Then another, til i had 4 crowing easter egger" pullets." Then the Real pullets started laying eggs, 2/3 beautiful blue, the rest green. Then starting 7-8 months, those same easter egger pullets started going broody. Several times a year. (They still do at age 6. One has chicks as i speak, & shes already raised one brood this year. Several others from those originals have also raised chicks this year.) i used the 4 original accidental Easter Egger roosters, and gave the broody hens ONly the biggest & blue-est eggs to hatch. Repeated that for a couple years, & only kept resulting roos, hatched from blue eggs. So became pretty confident that most of the roos carried double blue egg genes, since 90-95% of the daughters, grandaughters & great grand daughters laid blue eggs Continued to use the easter egger roos from blue eggs to hatch various breeds that laid brown eggs too, to make varying shades of green. Including the dark olive green with dark brown speckles. As i tell people that admire all the different egg shades and colors, my girls are very talented painters and artists. 😊 I think u would likely have sucess getting a marans roo from meyer hatchery since thats where your hens came from. If u want to be sure of getting Only marans chicks, then would yes be necessary to make seperate breeding pen. But if doing so is too much trouble, even if u kept the roos together (assuming your older roo would even allow the younger marans to share his space, and that the older hens would accept the young marans roo), u would def get Some pure marans eggs. Def creates more work, & only u can decide if u want to go that route as a personal challenge to see what u get!

Re roosters getting along, this is breed dependent. Silver Laced Wyandottes will generally get along with a yard full of other roosters so long as they all grew up together. The key is that they socially recognize each other.

Re egg color, there are three gene groups interacting. The first is a single gene on chromosome 1 that produces blue eggs. The second is the porphyrin biopath which produces a brown coating. The third is one of the various white egg genes which both means a gene that disables the porphyrin biopath and at the same time modifies the egg shell color. Note that all egg shells start out white. If the chicken has the oocyanin gene, then the egg shell will be blue. If the chicken has the biopath for porphyrin, then the egg will get a brown coating. This is kind of like the way Red, Green, and Blue colors can be mixed to achieve other colors.

White + oocanin = blue eggs
Intense white + oocyanin = sky blue eggs
Intense white + oocyanin + porphyrin = tan over blue eggs
white + oocyanin + porphryin = olive
white + oocyanin + over^ porphryin = deep olive (marans over blue)

Grass green eggs are one variant I have not delved into genetically. I suspect it is from having intense white + oocyanin + a variant in the porphyrin biopath.

Try this one out.... I purchased 5 Ameraucana chicks from McMurray Hatchery. I expected them to lay blue eggs.... Imagine my surprise when their eggs came out a solid green color. I don't know if they are dark enough to be considered olive eggers but maybe close.
I think the kinda the same thing just happened to me. I purchased an Olive Egger pullet from a supposidly reputable breeder and today, I caught her in the nest. I believe she left me a brown egg!! Very disappointed . :hmm :hit

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_013021709.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210327_013021709.MP.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210314_193427571.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210314_193427571.MP.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 4
I think the kinda the same thing just happened to me. I purchased an Olive Egger pullet from a supposidly reputable breeder and today, I caught her in the nest. I believe she left me a brown egg!! Very disappointed . :hmm :hit
You should contact he breeder once you are sure and let her/him know. I would want to know.

Strange! They really are green green, huh? Very pretty strange green :lol:

Yep.... Not even blue-green but definitely green green.... Maybe a shade lighter than an olive egger. Not what I expected when I bought Ameracaunas from a well known hatchery.... 😂 Oh well. In another week I'll be hatching out 6 Cream Legbars so hopefully I get at least one girl in the batch.... Then I can check the box for blue egg layers.

Well if they were advertised as laying blue you should get free blue laying chicks in my opinion. Anyways, its a pretty nice green, sort of 70's avacado.
Those should make some amazing olive eggers if you have a marans to cross them to!
My CLB lays a really pale blue like yours. I am in the process of hunting down ameracauna eggs that are blue-blue. Its a challenge!

Back
Top Bottom