OMG I am so excited !!!!!!

It's the same, but you can't right after it's laid. I think that's where the two of you got confused. :)
Oh okay, yeah I figured it would need a little bit of time to develop anything that could be seen. I'm still so excited that the process went ok for her. I went back to the camera videos to see if I missed tell-tale signs of her preparing to lay the egg and what I saw was interesting to see.

1. She stumbled getting into the run pool almost like she was having a hard time lifting her leg properly to get in.

2. She usually jumps out onto the lip of the pool after swimming and perches there to do her aftercare preening and instead, I saw it took her a couple of tries to get out and she just FELL out onto the step then onto the floor.

3. She stayed in the water a for a REALLY long time compared to her normal.

@Canadian Wind I also checked this morning, wondering if I was going to find another egg (I didn't) and saw that Daffy covered the egg with bedding. I found that really interesting. Oh and the fact that it seems as if she turned it or do you think this was a coincidence from her covering it? It is most definitely a 180° turn from where I marked the number one on it.

I have a box fan at the end of the run blowing towards the attached house but I turned that off this morning because we woke up with cooler temperatures. The egg was cool to the touch.

67° at 8:30 am
81° currently at 10:30am

From what I've read, ducks will cover their eggs to protect them until they have finished laying. They usually lay one every other day or so.
So I've heard or read somewhere that muscovies are seasonal layers. Is the warmer temperatures that we get here in Florida the reason why she's laying so late in the season, compared to others, instead of waiting until spring? Kind of like we'll have a longer growing season for gardens because we don't get the extreme cold here?

From what I've read, ducks will cover their eggs to protect them until they have finished laying. They usually lay one every other day or so.
I just checked the house after their nap (1:15 pm) and see now that she has uncovered the egg, it's now on top of all the bedding with no concaved/bowl/nest shape to it, the egg is just sitting on top and she has rotated it back to the side that has the 1 on it 🤔 So fascinating 🧐🤗

Back
Top Bottom