OMG! I think i killed all my ducks! HELP!

I think what happened is they ate so
many, filled their crop (probably still alive since they grab and swallow) and did not have water to rinse them down. So basically they were choking to death and dealing with the grasshoppers natural poison to protect themselves as well. That and the dust from mowing blocking nasal passages. As a rule here, we mow and waterfowl is put up until their pasture is done. Grasshoppers settle and then they can go play. We buy ground up activated charcoal and mix with flock crumble and they eat it themselves. I always keep crumble for things like this. But...

Good job saving them mama!!! Wahoo!

:hitI am very sorry. How many grasshoppers did they eat? Grasshoppers are very tough and maybe they had a hard time swallowing them. I hope they get better.
They are almost back to normal, except for Blanca Duck who is back to "over-normal" - meaning she is super hungry. I haven't offered any food to the ducks today - no tasty pellets - and everybody but her was OK with that. Starting noon she came to the patio every five minutes demanding food, in the end she was on the patio complaining loudly! So early evening i returned their feeder to the duck house and she almost crawled in. She has too many Pekin genes…

I lost it when he was talking about the flies dropping dead midair from the smell of the diarrhea :lau:lau:lau
You have no idea where all i found poop in that duck house. That must have been explosive diarrhea, it was a meter up the walls. I hosed down the whole house, so i guess the pumpkins that grow on the duck-bedding compost pile will now grow at an explosive rate too.

Wow! This was a scary thread. I'm glad everyone seems ok.
Just curious, were they drinking with all those bugs, or only afterward?
They were not drinking at all. The pool was just three (human) steps behind them, but everybody was too busy snatching grasshoppers out of the air - imaging a big white layer duck hopping up - that they entirely forgot to drink. Good point!

It's not fair to write stuff like this and say no laughing emojis allowed. I have literally laughed out loud more at this thread than anything else this entire year so far.

I am sorry that you had such a scary experience and that your ducks were sick. I'm glad everyone is ok.

You should seriously consider writing short stories or something though. We need more funny stuff in the world.
OK, you are allowed to laugh! - Now! - But not yesterday, while i was afraid for my buddy's life (Limpy).
I know i will tell my grand-kids that story one day and they will laugh so hard that they will fill their diapers to the brim. And i won't have to change them! :lol:
If my grand-kids still know what a »duck« and a »grasshopper« is. - No, not the newest chat-program…

Sorry, @WannaBeHillBilly , but your antics ALWAYS make me laugh. You could be commentating on getting a root canal, and it'd be hilarious. You have quite the knack for storytelling. I remember feeling truly guilty when I lost it that time you had a run in with that very same hill...

I guess that makes the score Hill = 2, HillBilly = 0.

Poor HillBilly...

Last edited:
Where DH and I lost it was when one duck puked up wiggling hoppers and another duck snarfed them down and puked, and then another duck....... I'm sorry, @WannaBeHillBilly , you could not expect us to keep a straight face through that! Yeah I agree, you have a future as a stand-up comic in 4-H shows or something. ... sell your story to an outdoor magazine or a poultry mag or something.... make some money off it.

Back
Top Bottom