OMG! I think i killed all my ducks! HELP!

Pics

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
It all started as a big fun: After cleaning the duck house today, i started mowing a strip of pasture for hay when i noticed hundreds of grashoppers were hopping away from me. "That might be fun for the duckies i thought" and so i shifted the mowing pattern by 90° and began mowing long strips of grass towards the ducks, who stood at the fence snatching all what came hopping at them. And they ate, i mowed the second strip and they ate, third strip and they ate while mowing the fourth strip i noticed the Runners began to behave weird as if they had problems swallowing and then when i reached the fence it all went south…

Warning Graphic Language follows!

And it is not funny, no laughing smilies please!

Katharina was first, suddenly she puked violently! And what came out was still half alive and fidgeting! That made other ducks gobbling up what Katharina just had puked out and then they started puking too and again what came back was wiggling and fidgeting, so the other ducks…
In the end there were 17 ducks puking and eating and puking and
full

And i stood there frozen like an idiot only watching in horror what was going on! :th
Until finally i ran, grabbed the garden hose and washed the whole mess down the hill out of reach of the ducks. But the damage was done, they all sat there, choking, gulping and looking really sick. Limpy was worse, he was whistling like a horn and i had to clean out his throat.

I made them all drink some water and Katharina puked it out again together with lot's of dead grashoppers, then she drank again and kept the water in. Carried them one by one out of the sun into the shade around some bowls with fresh water and except for Blanca they did not even protest when i picked them up. Then i sat down with them and made them drink more water.
They are all still alive but not doing well. Again i carried them one by one into the duck house, sat them down into the fresh straw and most of them just turned their heads back under their wings and tried to sleep. Limpy was unable to hold his head when i picked him up, so i had him sitting on my lap and he snuggled with me - he never does that! Finally he rasped and wanted back to the others, so i carried him to the house and sat him down in the straw.
At the moment everybody is still breathing, but some are panting (no it has cooled down here to the low 80's, not too hot), the others are breathing heavy, some are whistling.

Is there anything else i can do for them? - Other than providing plenty of fresh water and no food for tonight?
What the duck was that? Did they just over-ate? Or do grashoppers become poisonous at some time?
I feel like such an idiot now!

Last edited:
I’m so sorry! I have no idea if grasshoppers can be toxic. Just inc case, do you have any activated charcoal on hand? Maybe you could have them eat some of that?
I am an idiot! Thank you very much for reminding me! Yes i have some activated charcoal, let me see if i can get some of that into the duckies…

I've not heard of grasshoppers being poisonous, but I did kill a pet tarantula feeding it wild crickets once. We came to the conclusion it had pesticides my spider had never been exposed to.

If not that my guess would be, especially if they where live/whole enough to still be moving, maybe the stiffness and sharpness of the exoskeleton was to harsh on their throat/crop.

Gosh! I look like a coal miner now! - Hey i am in coal-country!
Blanca Duck is unbelievable: She saw me coming with a container in my hand and assumed "meal-worms". I opened the activated charcoal pill container and in went her head and she swallowed - no clue how many capsules before realizing those are neither meal-worms nor cat food. She is definitely out of the woods.
The other's it is 50:40, half of them put up a fight when i opened their bill and tried to slide down a capsule, the other half just looked at me, annoyed about being disturbed and just swallowed. Limpy is my concern: I think he feels hot to the touch. His feet and legs are burning and he is breathing heavy. Being an experienced patient he just opened his bill and swallowed the pill, then drank some water. Oh boy! Oh boy!

Grasshoppers themselves are not what’s harming them....

Any sort of poisons or pesticides used on your yard lately?

Sorry to hear about your ducks!
Nada! I don't use any pesticides here, i have ducks! - The only chemical we use here is roundup for our driveway and that happened far away from there.

Back
Top Bottom