OMG - I think my girls ate maggots!

I don't find the idea of chickens eating maggots any more icky than their enjoyment of eating earwigs. *shudder*

However, while I might set up situations for earwigs to gather (rolling up a damp newspaper and leaving it in the garden, then taking it up the next day and unrolling it for the chickens to get the little buggers), I don't think I'll "grow & harvest" maggots.

I'm kinda glad they DO eat maggots. Just don't get any on ME!

Quote:
I suppose it's possible, but gotta say I'm glad I went back and reread your original post. It totally relieved me. Your chickens got into the rat and maggots yesterday. Whew. Your chickens did not get botulism. Without almost immediate treatment chickens don't usually survive more than a few hours with botulism.

Imp

Hurray to your flock for taking down a rat!!!!! You go girls!
clap.gif

Quote:
I know! I'm a big softie and feel bad for the poor unsuspecting rat, but I have to say - it feels good knowing that our chickens aren't helpless! We also have a tiny mouse living under the coop and I've been worried that it would come inside and bite our girls in the night, but now I don't have to worry about it. The rat is like 10 times bigger than the mouse under the coop!

Quote:
I suppose it's possible, but gotta say I'm glad I went back and reread your original post. It totally relieved me. Your chickens got into the rat and maggots yesterday. Whew. Your chickens did not get botulism. Without almost immediate treatment chickens don't usually survive more than a few hours with botulism.

Imp

OK, whew! Thanks.

After they finish the maggots, they'll probably eat the rat.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is fleas and such that could be on the rat. Those could get on the chickens. Keep a watch out for infestations and treat appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom