OMG my chickens ATE Mice, HELP!!!!

My girls eat mice, kangaroo rats, snakes, lizards, scorpions, they ganged up on a ground squirel that was eating my cucumbers in my garden, good girls.

Yup. I can totally see that. Except of course where I live there are no scorpions, lizards or kangaroo rats.
Am I correct in assuming there is absolutely nothing wrong with your eggs or your chicken soup?

Hi there!

I'm no "eggspert", but I have noticed that my chickens will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. (Provided it doesn't out run them! lol) I believe it's perfectly normal. Mine eat mice whenever they get a chance, and will even catch and peck at sparrows that get into their food. Chickens are omnivorous scavengers, and can even be cannibalistic. Just saying, to prevent you going into shock should it happen. You'll get it figured out. I've been at it for about 2 years, and still learning.

Take care, and enjoy your chickens.
MsRae

We have a BSL named Danerys. She is also known as The Black Death for her propensity to go after mice, rats, frogs, and anything smaller and slower than her. I've never seen her take more than 3 seconds to dispatch anything. Thank God she is not 6 feet tall - we would all be in trouble.

My Rhode Island Red is the main carnivore in my group, grossly fascinating, she nabs the mouse and runs from the pack, head held high, like she has the best prize ever! Chickens are the best, now if I could just have them get the mole infestation that is happening in my yard and run, looks like I have a street map of dead grass lines and tiny volcanos everywhere. I'm afraid one day I will go out their and my coop will be lifted off the ground.

Wish my previous chickens would have gone after rats. We had them really bad. They would run about in daylight in the coop. We tried every commercial and homemade trap. All sorts of bait. Nothing. Finally just poisoned them all. 99% of them died in their holes so it didn't matter. There were only 2 rats we had to pick up. The chickens will eat mice. The bantams did have trouble with full grown mice in our area. The standards would grab the adults and the bantams would fight over the nest of babies. Not as much of an issue now that we are within city limits. There aren't even hardly any large bugs like grasshoppers. Most of what they get is vegetation aside from their poultry feed.

I had a RIR pullet to recently kill and eat a short tailed shrew, and they were fighting over a small snake

Back
Top Bottom