Omg!! Such Stupid People One Meets!!

Good for you for trying to talk her out of making a mistake for those poor chicks. I don't see why the store shouldn't be allowed to NOT sell a chick to someone they know doesn't have a clue on how to take care of them. My husband keeps and raises certain types of fish and has many a time tried to talk some ignorant person out of buying a fish at a store knowing that they didn't have the proper set up to keep the fish alive. Salt water fish are not only expensive but many of the ones that are sold are almost impossible to keep. One of the stores that we do go to will routinely refuse to sell to someone when they know that they don't have the right set up. We also have a local pet store that refuses to sell rabbits to anyone around easter. Maybe he has the right idea.

My heart breaks for those poor chicks and ducklings. I am happy to hear that someone tried to educate a idiot of a woman. She can't handle her kids what in the world makes her think she can handle poultry of any breed. Sometimes I think you should have to be licensed to have kids. She is setting such a bad example for them. Wish there were many more people like the original poster, those who do rescue work and actually care for their livestock even if it is for dinner. Hope the lady calls to say you can have the babies before her kids or her neglect kill them.

Quote:
I take a little offense to this comment. I have 5 kids all of whom are extremely well behaved and respectful. I accept nothing less. Most often the parents are the ones who are the "problem". If you don't like kids, it's because you aren't around the right ones. Remember you used to be one.

You tried, you did the best you could. I applaud your efforts and self control. I think I would have gone postal with the lady and her spoiled kids and security would have removed me. Not violent just a bad, loud mouth when needed. I really don't think her kids will be brokenhearted when she gives the chicks away or they die. After the first "poopy" on them, they will throw them down and go onto the next toy. Would be buyers should have a three day cooling off period and need a license to purchase unless they pass a store "Interview" that displays knowledge of raising baby chicks.

he.gif
Oh, this too is a very sore subject for me. GGGRRRRR!

Ive had to stop going into TSC when I know they have chicks in. I cant tell you how many times in the past Ive pointed out to the manager(s) the lack of food/ water proper heat etc and the filthy conditions they keep them in. It breaks my heart, and dont get me started on all the kids who are allowed to scream and laugh as there trying to chase and pick up some poor scared baby, and then convince mom they just have to have some - aww there sooo cute.... yes but if you want them to be happy and healthy, preparation and continued upkeep etc, etc,is needed, why dont these selfish people realise this
somad.gif
I guess the sad facts are some people just dont care about others suffering at there own hands.....
hit.gif

I have been a 'chickenless' chicken lover for years, reading BYC for over two years, sure I could of had chickens before now, but I put there welfare before my needs and its only now that Im in a position to be getting them (hopefully coop and run will be finished soon, I plan on getting them in April
wee.gif
) Im not trying to blow my own trumpet, I just cant understand how others (except you'all) can be so callous.... Id better end now, gonna give myself heartburn
sickbyc.gif

By the way, Ill be getting my girls from my Local feed store, they keep them in far better conditions.

P.S Dont get me started on the easter colored chicks either.....thats just wrooong...
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

(the lady here who colored her Bantam pink for a wedding - thats different to me, she obviosly loves her birds and was just haveing a laugh, Im sure if the chicken had shown signs of distress she would of delt with it kindly)

Its an ongoing cycle. Uninformed or ignorant parents are allowed to have kids. The kids then watch their parents and learn from their parents. They then grow up and multiply and teach their kids the same things they learned. I see parents do things that my ten and eight year old would never consider doing. In ten years those kids will be in that store making the same kind of self indulgent decisions they saw their parents make.

Our local feed store takes great care of the chicks while they are there. That being said, they can't stand there and watch every person who walks by. Even though they have large "Don't touch" signs, eye level, just above the tanks of chicks I watched a dad pick up a gosling so that his kids could pet it while saying, "Here, you can pet this one because it's a big duck."
th.gif

Last edited:
Pet peeve of mine as well. Sadly, there is seemingly no recourse.

Most folks here have reasonable dislike for the commercial chicken cage "system", but I wonder sometimes which is worse, actually. I know my thoughts are radical and just mental ramblings, but all the abuse that chicks take in the home or backyard "system", what with shipping, selling, handling at feed stores, to woefully uninformed buyers, to neglect, being cooked or frozen in home brooders, I don't find much of it very appealing, frankly. Anyone can buy chicks at a store or have them delivered to their door.

OK, rant over. To the OP. It is frustrating. You did your best. It is what it is.

I read this post this morning, and was thinking about it when I went into TSC this afternoon. Wouldn't it just figure that I'd have a "stupid people" experience of my own? A couple was looking at chicks and ducklings for their kids. The wife asks the husband "what's the difference between the pullet breed and the cornish x?" and he replies, "oh, hum, well, you know, the cornish is more of a commercial egg-layer type."
th.gif
Obviously just pretending to know something, rather than actually being mis-informed. Luckily, the Cornish x were mis-marked, and were actually Tetra Tints. I made a point of having a loud, over-hear-able conversation with the employee there (who is actually very knowledgeable about the chicks) about there being the wrong breed in the cornish bin. She went over, changed the sign, and explained to the kids that pullets meant "all girls." So the couple got educated, without confrontation. Still...
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom