OMG What have I done?

I bought a new coop last night, picking it up tomorrow just for the new additions. Luckily I sell eggs to offset some of the cost of having my addiction. Right now I have more customers than eggs, so it's logical that I need more hens right?

RIGHT! That's my philosophy exactly.. LOL Gotta keep up with the demand ! We sell eggs too and are always picking up new customers, a couple times we came close to being sold out completely so we "needed" to increase our flock.. :)

I can actually blame my Dad and the hubby for my initial math problem. When we moved to this 10 acre farm I wanted a few hens for eggs. I had decided 6 would be plenty to provide eggs for us and my parents. I found a local farmer who had some point-of-lay pullets for sale, had it planned out when I would be ready with housing and scheduled pickup for after our upcoming vacation. I like to be prepared.

Weeeelll, the menfolk go to the feedstore for hay and grain. They decide to come home with a birthday surprise for moi. 19 CHICKS!!

"Look honey, we got 10 free chicks when we bought 5 and a bag of chick food! Tom threw in an extra couple as well. Isn't it great? Happy Birthday!"

So picture me now scrambling to put together a brooder, find a heat lamp, ward off a herd of various cats and dogs, and graciously thank the men I adore. I then had to make arrangements for a chick-sitter as we were leaving for vacation in two days.

I grin from ear to ear any time hubby dares to comment on the 90+ chooks that now call this place home. I remind him that I only wanted 6! (I did add those 6 pullets once the coop was finished.)

My best friend just realized how many chicks I have on order (only 24) plus my 3 silver seabrights. Her reaction was funny. "I thought we were just going to steal some chickens from the chicken house for you" (her hubby works on a commercial production farm)

Would love to but my babies are not due until July!

My birthday is March 10th. Wanna send me a goat as a present? My boyfriend would flip when he came over and saw a goat in addition to the chicken math.......
he.gif

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about jumping in with both feet cuz i'm a stay at home mom with 4 farm-loving kids and a husband that just loves to build me stuff!!!!! It's a family farm and everybody helps! Even my mom comes and visits and can't wait to feed the pig, walk the dog and play with the chickens! It's great! I love my family and all my furry babies too!

I informed my husband that our replacement order will likely come with red star roos.... my husband got EXCITED. I was like.. you do realize thats BOYS. Boys most people would use for meat. He went "I know my friends will like it!" and I looked at him and went "I CANT KILL BIRDS I RAISE!" and he goes "dont worry. they will!"

*snarls*

I started out wanting a dozen hens... I ordered 26, they sent 44.... lost 16 (ones I actualy ordered), they are sending replacements for the 16 with all the extra boys to make 25 but umm.. Ive been warned they tend to go freebie crazy with boys. (I was told to expect 15-20 to 'make up for the trouble'). sooo. Lets look at the math shall we....

Wanted 12 ordered 26
Got 44
Lost 16
Now have: 28
Replacements on their way: 25+ peanuts
total possible: 53 + extras WHAT THE HECK?!

Needless to say... thats a weeee bit over the 12 I wanted ;)

I think I'm gonna have to start advertising big time to get rid of extras! lol Talk about chicken math, hubby is gonna kill me.

Back
Top Bottom