Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Everybody, I'm sorry, I won't be able to get it up tonight. I have a few things to edit and fix on it. Terribly sorry.

~Chapter 8~

The Raid
Flame was abruptly jerked from his thoughts as he ran ran Smack! into Zanzibar's rump. The stocky cremello pinned his ears and bared his teeth, but made no move to punish the colt. Flame heaved a sigh of relief, but sucked it in quickly again when he heard raven's deep, impatient voice. "Okay; okay! I've got it! Get we just get going?!" he growled, his voice low. They had obviously been conversing quietly together, since he glanced back at Flame, as if wondering whether or not he had heard anything. Flame looked away. "You're the one who needs to 'get going'!" Zanzibar snorted, snapping his teeth at Raven. A look of smug anticipation washed over Raven's face as he coiled his legs beneath him, sprinting down the ridge and up toward the herd's look-out hill.
After a little while, Zanzibar fixed a stern gaze upon Flame. "All set?" he grunted. "Yeah." Flame replied. "Good. Any moment now..." his voice trailed off. His pink eyes stared intensely at Flame, though the young colt knew he wasn't actually looking at him, for his white ears swiveled and twitched, searching for Raven's scream of battle. Flame too, turned and twitched his ears not daring to blink or breathe for fear of missing the sound. Then suddenly, almost nothing more than a whisper, it came. But it was almost as if it was a hurricane though, the way Zanzibar staggered backwards with a snort of surprise. Flame gasped, and when he found himself out of breath, doubled over wheezing. "Take it easy!" Zanzibar growled, straining his ear. There it was. An answering cry. Fierce, yet eerie as it echoed through the hills. "That's it!" Zanzibar whinnied, nearly scaring Flame out of his hooves. "Lets go, lad!" Zanzibar wheeled, and sprinted away toward a grove of trees. Flame took off after him.
Flame burst into a fit of croaking coughs as he and Zanzibar crossed the territory line, thick with the herd's unfamiliar scent. "Sh!" Zanzibar hissed, baring his teeth. They trotted to a group of bushes, and Zanzibar lifted his head over them, while Flame poked his head through. There, in the soft, lush thicket was a herd of lovely horses. There were many mares, each with young foals by their sides. There were also fit young colts, just a bit younger than Flame. "Jackpot!" Zanzibar breathed. A foal lifted it's head to stare placidly at Flame with deep brown eyes. His muzzle was dotted milky white from recently nursing. His mother paid no attention to him, and walked a few steps away to clip at a bud of green grass. Flame gazed out over the herd, his tense muscles slowly relaxing. Each horse looked content and happy, their heads down choosing the clumps of grass that suited their fancy. His gaze landed upon a strong, lean looking mare who was more alert than the others. "The lead mare." Zanzibar snorted, as if knowing where Flame was gazing. The large cremello gathered his legs beneath him, and lifted his slender head to utter a cry of dominance. His lips opened in a gaping whinny as he reared. *BANG!!* A gunshot sounded in the air. *BANG! BANG!* Flame whirled to see a truck speeding across the field towards them at a break-neck pace. Without a second thought he began to run. Zanzibar's voice reached his ears "RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" he bellowed. The mares and foals stood there, pressed against each other in utter shock. "RUN!" Zanzibar roared, rearing. Flame glanced back just in tim to see a bright red blotch, splattering the stallion's shoulder. Zanzibar pawed the ground, then raced at the herd, spooking them into a stampede. Flame focused all his strength running, but realized the herd was much faster than he was. He gasped in terror when he felt a strong grip on the back of his neck. Straining his eyes to look behind him, he saw Raven's powerful figure dragging him faster than his own legs could carry him. He realized with a jolt that Raven's glossy black fur was now torn and splattered with crimson blood. His own blood. "Raven!" Flame gasped, unable to finish. "Yeah kid; I lost. Now hurry up!" He growled, trying to pick up speed.

(Whoo! That was a doozy!
th.gif
Hope you like it!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom