1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One Chick with Bright Orange Feet?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PineBurrowPeeps, May 22, 2008.

1. One of my almost 6 week old Buff Orpington chicks has bright orange legs and feet, while all the others have light/white colored legs and feet... I've started calling the little bugger Velveeta because it looks like someone tried to duck her feet in melted cheese!
    She (is supposed to be a girl anyway) is acting completely normal, healthy and spunky just like all the others, the skin is normal too..
    What gives with the funky feet?
    Is this normal?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Different breed perhaps.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Probably a buff rock..they have yellow feet and are similar to the buff orp.

Jody

4. Like how similar?

I got these guys from Ideal and this chick looks EXACTLY like the other four Buff Orps she came with...
    odd.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    That sounds So cute! I can't wait to see a picture of Velveeta. Mmmm, that started me thinking about nachos. Guess it is about dinner time! ha ha ha...

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My accidental buff rock (was supposed to be an orpington) looks just like my orpingtons, except for his leg color and his comb is a brighter red then my orpington rooster.

7. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    This sounds like my situation: I have 2 BO pullets, one of which has a pale comb/wattles and pale legs, and the other has a bright red/wattles and bright yellow legs. Sounds like I've got a buff rock myself. I was going to ask about this myself this weekend, but now I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by