One chicken, three eggs, 24 hours

Hoosiercluck

Chirping
Sep 30, 2016
I have a Leghorn who has been on winter hiatus, and just yesterday started laying again. I cleaned the pen Sunday morning, gathered, and went back that evening for an egg check, no white eggs. I went to do egg check yesterday afternoon and there were 3 white eggs!! OMG, how is this possible? I know they all belong to her because I only have one chicken who lays white eggs. I was surprised she wasn't wearing a cape. Super chicken

I assume if they were all white that they all had shells. This would be highly unusual. While it happens often that a hen will lay two eggs per cycle, even that number usually produces one with a compromised shell since it's a challenge for the shell gland to produce the calcium necessary to cover them both. If your hen had three good eggs, that's a real feat.

Do any of your other hens lay tan eggs? It's possible one laid an egg with no pigment, being early in the season.

some have laid very light tan, but this is definitely white. She may have laid one later in the day on Sunday, after 5, but with the sun setting so early these days I am stumped. Even to lay one late and two the next day I thought was a feat. Yes, all hard shells. I have to rename her super Shelley I guess.

Back
Top Bottom