One day old chick with wry neck. Please help!!

Luandrie

Hatching
Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone

I have a little orpington buff chick that hatched yesterday and sadly it seems like he has wry neck.

The only things that I can get my hands on is selenium and vitamin E tables from a drug store. Our pet and vet shops don’t seem to have any supplements for chickens.
The only other thing I could find was Carmino+. It has a wide variety of vitamins and amino acids but no selenium. It does have Vitamin E ( 40000 iu per kg).

Should I rather crush up the vitamin E and selenium tablets and give it to the chick with water? I have no clue what the dosage should be though.

Hi everyone

I have a little orpington buff chick that hatched yesterday and sadly it seems like he has wry neck.

The only things that I can get my hands on is selenium and vitamin E tables from a drug store. Our pet and vet shops don’t seem to have any supplements for chickens.
The only other thing I could find was Carmino+. It has a wide variety of vitamins and amino acids but no selenium. It does have Vitamin E ( 40000 iu per kg).

Should I rather crush up the vitamin E and selenium tablets and give it to the chick with water? I have no clue what the dosage should be though.

Hi I had a very similar situation to you at the start of the year!

I basically babied my chick, I sat with her in a warm area and fed her some boiled egg and manually gave her water with vitamins. I wouldn't recommend giving her the tablets in water unless you know from vets that it wont hurt her. The best thing to do is isolate the chick and give her boiled egg yourself, she probably can't eat on her own like the others. My chick did survive and pulled through and could walk and stand on her own. I spent hours with her trying to feed her as often as possible, even letting her sleep in my pocket because it kept her upright. After she starts to eat egg, try giving her oatmeal mixed with chick crumb in very small amounts, that should help her gain strength. natural bio yogurt is also a good way to get her to start eating (only give to her as a snack).

Hope this helps!

Hi I had a very similar situation to you at the start of the year!

I basically babied my chick, I sat with her in a warm area and fed her some boiled egg and manually gave her water with vitamins. I wouldn't recommend giving her the tablets in water unless you know from vets that it wont hurt her. The best thing to do is isolate the chick and give her boiled egg yourself, she probably can't eat on her own like the others. My chick did survive and pulled through and could walk and stand on her own. I spent hours with her trying to feed her as often as possible, even letting her sleep in my pocket because it kept her upright. After she starts to eat egg, try giving her oatmeal mixed with chick crumb in very small amounts, that should help her gain strength. natural bio yogurt is also a good way to get her to start eating (only give to her as a snack).

Hope this helps!

I’m struggling a lot to get some food into the little baby. Do you maybe have any tips that’ll help?
I read somewhere that I should try mixing honey, water and egg yolk (not sure if the yolk should be cooked or raw though). Do you think that’ll help?

I’m struggling a lot to get some food into the little baby. Do you maybe have any tips that’ll help?
I read somewhere that I should try mixing honey, water and egg yolk (not sure if the yolk should be cooked or raw though). Do you think that’ll help?

Yes that sounds like a good idea, cook the egg because raw yolk can be too sticky for them. Maybe scrambled egg with honey and water? And if you're struggling to feed her then you may have to force it to her; I gently opened her beak and popped a small amount in, just have to be very careful when doing so. Usually they'll begin to eat because theres something in their mouth and it's instinct. If she still doesn't eat then keep giving her vitamin water because she may begin to get hungry when she drinks. Keep updating us :)

Hi everyone

Vitamin E is usually an oil - can you please post some photos of the products that you have and of the chick? Also let us know where you are located in the world - Thank You:)
A chick needs hydration before they have anything to eat.

Egg has sufficient Selenium so don't give extra selenium. Vitamin E at 400IU and if you can get some B-Complex that would be good (1/4 tablet).

Hopefully the vitamins will help your chick.

Vitamin E is usually an oil - can you please post some photos of the products that you have and of the chick? Also let us know where you are located in the world - Thank You:)

Egg has sufficient Selenium so don't give extra selenium. Vitamin E at 400IU and if you can get some B-Complex that would be good (1/4 tablet).

E9634C4B-7EFE-4857-AD48-316EA4EF698A.jpeg
C884BC93-1F5F-42AA-8D44-96930D21165C.jpeg
89B89906-F71C-4F65-B898-8D43B5218397.jpeg

Ok so at first I got the tablet ( white bottle is Vitamin E and gold is the selenium) but the I came across the Carmino+. I took him to the vet today and he gave the poor little thing a vitamin shot so I’m hoping that’ll make a difference. I’m from South Africa.

49D2BEC5-BFEE-443E-9D9E-814593938664.jpeg
Here is a pic of the baby. The vet also suggested I maybe try just giving him some baby parrot food. Put I mix it with a lot of water so he basically drinks it. Seems to be working for now

Glad you were able to see the vet.
Did he make a suggestion of which vitamin(s) to give?

For me, looking at what you have in the photos, I would use the Carmino+ Looks like good stuff. I would also give a little plain water too.

Cute Chick! I hope you are seeing improvement - let us know how she's doing!

Back
Top Bottom