One dead rooster and another sick one with mystery illness

Allmyhens

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
We just lost a rooster yesterday that went from healthy to dead in 3 days. My other rooster has been sick for a little over a week. I’m not sure how old he is or what type as we inherited the flock about 6 months ago. I know he is old enough to have his spurs wrapping around his foot which we have since trimmed. He started off by having a pale folded comb and was sitting with his head at a lower position. We treated him for mites and with VETRX. He seemed to get a little better but never back to normal. In the meantime the other rooster, Travis, started acting lethargic, shaking his head often, had peeling yellow skin on his face, labored breeding, comb turned dark. We treated with several things but he was dead within 3 days. Although there symptoms were somewhat different now Ceaser is starting the have the yellow scaly peeling skin on his face. I’m concerned there is something I am missing. I thought it may be Favus but I don’t think that would take a bird out in 3 days. He is still crowing, eating and drinking and foraging. He has lost weight and is no longer messing with the hens. We have added Corid to the water and rooster booster by mouth. We are also treating for leg mites just in case. Any suggestions of what might be going on. I don’t know what else to try. The pic I am adding is of the scales on the face of the rooster that died in case someone knows what that is. I’m also attaching one of Ceaser and his comb. The other weird thing is that none of the hens seem to have any problems. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1344CAC5-8E06-46DA-A91C-22612DA727AD.jpeg
    1344CAC5-8E06-46DA-A91C-22612DA727AD.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 59C1DA92-2B7B-4F50-87F0-DF6231ABA077.jpeg
    59C1DA92-2B7B-4F50-87F0-DF6231ABA077.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1A18FF69-7474-4057-A6D2-B8AB17EBDA06.jpeg
    1A18FF69-7474-4057-A6D2-B8AB17EBDA06.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 11
I'm sorry for your loss.

What did you use for treatment of lice/mites on the body? Are all the bugs gone?
Hard to know what's causing the skin peeling, I would be inclined to use Plain Neosporin instead of the VetRx to see if that makes a difference.

What do you feed your roosters?

ive never seen or heard of the yellow stuff on the face before. perhaps some sort of infection. have you checked his ears?
my rooster went very lethargic and lost alot of weight and it turned out to be coccidiosis. i also wormed them. he is doing fine now.
i hope someone more experienced can let you know whats going on

We are feeding a layer feed and scratch grain for treats. They have a very large run so they get a healthy supply of bugs as well. We dusted him with DE and then with permethrin about 5 days later. We also dusted the coop with the insecticide. I have not seen any more live bugs. I’m going to try a fungus cream today in case it is Favus. We have not worked him yet. What do you recommend as a dewormer?

We are feeding a layer feed and scratch grain for treats. They have a very large run so they get a healthy supply of bugs as well. We dusted him with DE and then with permethrin about 5 days later. We also dusted the coop with the insecticide. I have not seen any more live bugs. I’m going to try a fungus cream today in case it is Favus. We have not worked him yet. What do you recommend as a dewormer?
An anti-fungal cream probably won't hurt him.
Remember to re-treat for the lice/mites in 7 day intervals, housing needs to be treated as well.

For de-worming, I would use Safeguard (Fenbendazole). Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

He may also benefit from a vitamin boost and extra protein. I like Poultry Cell given at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight orally for about 3 days. Protein can be eggs, fish, meat or buy a small bag of chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom