One last confirmation before Henry gets rehomed?

riverwed070707

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Iowa
I posted back when my chicks were 8 weeks looking for confirmation on breed and gender. Since then, I've looked at 100s of pics of Barred Rocks and I can't help but think he still looks a lot more similar to the hens than he does the roos -- mainly because of color, but other things too. I know his comb and waddles are big, but that isn't out of character for the breed, is it?

I have a friend a couple hours away who lives in the country and is looking to get started with chickens. If there is any chance he might still be a she, I'd like to hold off. I will say he has started making noise in the morning but I'd hesitate to call it crowing... its more like a broken party favor and he stops once I feed him -- do hens make loud noises like that? Its definitely not a cock-a-doodle-do but the other 2 aren't nearly that vocal.

Anywho, any hope for Henry to still be a Henrietta?

I had two barred rocks who I was sure were hens until henrietta crowed one morning...and penny shortly after that! They both had hen tails and no hackles or saddle feathers until much later on than my definite roo. So I am definitely not an expert but would say if you can wait until all the feathers develop, that is likely the best choice to be sure.

can you get a picture of the saddle(back feathers)

That's exactly what I was going to say. The coloring is hennish and if that bird is 18-20 weeks old, the comb/wattles could conceivably be those of a female. The feet and legs are pretty masculine but overall its looking more like a hen. A profile pic that shows hackle and saddle feathers would help a lot.

Looking back at the timing of your first post, this bird is about 11-12 weeks old, correct? If so, that's all boy. You can keep him around for a while, but he's gonna crow. Sounds like he's starting already--they sound pretty pitiful when the start!

I agree he's not colored like a full barred rock rooster, maybe he is a mix? But even fast maturing leghorn hens don't have that much comb/wattle/redness at this age.

spread the feathers at the base of the tail by now you should see saddles coming in if this one is in deed a cockerel...just our barred rock hens who were 2 years didnt have that much wattle nor that big of a comb

I will say he has started making noise in the morning but I'd hesitate to call it crowing... its more like a broken party favor and he stops once I feed him -- do hens make loud noises like that? Its definitely not a cock-a-doodle-do but the other 2 aren't nearly that vocal.
Cock-a-doodle-do! That's a rooster. That kazoo noise is his attempt at crowing.

:( I suspected but just wanted to be sure. Thanks! At least we already have a good home were I know he won't be stew.

Back
Top Bottom