One less dog in the neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I heard and old wives tale that a dog that gets it thrills eating chickens will get a taste for warm blood and the chaos of screaming and will attack children at play for the same reasons as a chicken.

When I was little my grandfather had a big nice dog for years. Then one day it out of the blue killed a chicken several months later it tried to attack the neighbor children while they played tag. It was shoot the next day.

Quote:
I told her we were going hunting to get her to follow me and to expect something pleasant. She's a hunting dog, after all. I didn't see any point or positive outcome to scaring the dog before putting it down.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Well that does put it in a better perspective I feel better now thanks,

Quote:
You know, a lot of dogs will not just lay down and quietly take a beating. Lab or not, that sounds like a very good way to get bitten ... especially by a dog that really does not know you. A defensive dog can be very dangerous.

I, too, think you did the right thing. Sometimes, as hard as it is, you just have to do what needs to be done. Sorry you lost so many chickens
sad.png

You know, I really like you folks and I've learned alot from you. I do not say this to be offensive. I understand shooting wild animals and packs of dogs that are on a killing mission and are dangerous. I understand wanting to protect your chickens.

However, I am shocked that a 'friendly animal' that could be dealt with differently (in hand, take to SPCA or call Lab Rescue) paid the ultimate price. It is a little too easy it seems to just kill something. I am not critical of the original poster. I am shocked at the general attitude of 'go ahead and shoot it' that seems to be the norm........

One gal with a wayward but nice neighborhood dog got electric fence for her yard and got the neighbor to have her dog wear the collar.

There are lab rescues, SPCA, if its a 'nice animal' that you can catch and is not dangerous to humans, it seems like even if you are within your 'rights' folks are really just responding to the nuisance and irritation.

I dont' think folks should be setting the tone of it's ok to kill animals that have bad owners; or that clearly could have had a good life in the city. Even as comfort to someone who felt they had to make this choice.

I fenced my property. I built coop fort knox.
I spent my early years on a ranch with cows and chickens.
I don't agree with making the dog pay the price. Sue the stupid owner. Make it a problem for them.

Sorry, I know I'm on the losing side of a touchy argument. You all know this is an upsetting topic. Against my better judgement I just needed to have my say. I do like you folks and hope you won't kick me out. And I like dogs ALOT and think if they can be rehomed or retrained since their temperment is not the issue, they should have a chance. Sue the idiot owner for all your costs and pain and suffering.

I'll shut up now.

I don't think it's the taste of blood as much as it is the awakening of the prey instinct. Another neighbor's two dogs came over and killed chickens and they were so excited that they had erections and were foaming at the mouth. When the owner arrived, it was all he could do to hold the dogs back by their collars.

Now every time they get out they high-tail it for my place and head straight for the coop.

Keep in mind that this isn't a city-close situation. I have 7 acres, and there are 5 uncleared acres between me and the two sets of dog owners, who both have over 5 acres each. When these dogs get out they have to hoof it quite a way to reach my house.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Quote:
I told her we were going hunting to get her to follow me and to expect something pleasant. She's a hunting dog, after all. I didn't see any point or positive outcome to scaring the dog before putting it down.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Thats what really bothers me....that dog trusted you..
th.gif
....thats the kicker for me right there.
hit.gif
ugh..i'd never sleep a content/peaceful sleep again...BUT again...thats JUST me....to each their own.

Quote:
I dont think a responsible rescue would adopt a "friendly"dog out that is known to have killed other animals before.
" Sure the dog is goo with kids, it only kills chickens out of the blue" ONCE A KILLER ALWAYS A KILLER

Its chickens not everyone has chickens, And if they run all the tests and find something, they shouldnt but atleast try.
I am really going to try and be quiet now.

KHayward did the right thing. I killed a dog infront of it owner one day. The dog had been chasing my horses and I caught the dog and called the sheriff. The sheriff arrived about the same time as the dog owner. I explained to the owner and sheriff that several years ago dogs had run some of my horses thru a fence and one of the horses had its throat slit by the fence wire, a horrible way to die.
I told the owner that if i found his dog on my property again I would shoot it and the sheriff told the owner that I had that right. As the owner was leaving he let his dog loose and it started for the horses and I shot it and the sheriff shot it. The sheriff told the owner to get his dead dog and that if anything happened to my property or animals that the sheriff was going to be looking for the dog owner.
In the last 20 years I have shot 7 dogs for chasing livestock and two of them belonged to me.

Quote:
Please keep in mind that we have no government-run shelters, no animal control dept., and no humane society out here. There's one private shelter, but they have signs up all over town begging for adoptive homes and food to feed all the dogs and cats they currently have. There is a limit to how many animals can be kept and rehomed.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom