One less dog in the neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thank you so much! This really was a hard decision to make, but I think it was the right one. This was a serial-killer dog with an otherwise good disposition but an irresponsible owner. And I had finally had enough of buying birds, feeding them for months, and seeing them killed for "fun."

The last two killed, my Speckled Sussux, had just reached the 5-month mark and hadn't even laid their first egg. I was just devastated. Altogether, that dog has killed a whole flock of my birds, from fully grown to just out of the brooder.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

My mother used to get bullets made of rock salt. They fit a 22 rifle. She'd shoot strays with it. It stung but it didn't cause permanent injury. The dogs would run off yipping and they didn't didn't come back.

sad.png

Last edited:
Dontcha wish it was legal to shoot the irresponsible owners instead?

am I cool with it? Yeah. I have a lab/mutt and I would appreicate if someone at least warned me once before shooting my dog, and give me the chance to pay restitution and the opportunity to better restrain the dog. But the OP did give the owner warning, so I see no problem with it whatsoever.

My chickens are not livestock to me and many others here. Why should some idiots uncared for pet have more rights than my pets on my property. The shelters are overflowing with abandoned animals, they even tell me to shoot it, the sheriff says shoot it, the judge says shoot it. It is my job to protect the animals in my care, whatever it takes. The OP made a difficult decision and I was not there and will not judge. I am sorry you lost so many birds and I'm sure you didn't make that choice lightly and without suffering on your part.

Sounds to me like you used great restraint if you lost a flock full of birds, before acting. Regretfully, I think I would have done the same thing. I'm sorry that such an ignorant neighbour put you into this situation.

I hate to see an animal that just needs some direction shot & killed. It's a shame that it would be unacceptable for you to go over and shoot the owner in the foot. Personally, I could never shoot an animal that comes when called who doesn't know it's been "bad", but I can certainly understand how upsetting it would be to have your birds killed constantly. I wonder if this person's animal situation is out of control enough to warrant a visit from the Humane Society.

I have to say that I thought that the title for this thread with it's jubilant tone was rather offensive.

Yeah, I know, I'm a bit of a tree hugger and my opinions don't match up with the consensus on this. I did grow up on a sizeable farm and have lived all but two of my 32 years in the country. I've had occasion to shoot at a pack of dogs who were spending their days as pets and their nights killing young livestock. In my defense, I am holding back so that I don't get attacked too viciously after this post!

KHayward, I'm sorry for your loss and what you went through.
And I'm sorry for that dog. It irritates me to no end that animals pay with their lives for their owners' incompetence.
I'm on both sides of this issue. I have chickens, and have trained my dogs to leave them alone, and have had other dogs go after them--but my dogs are almost never out w/the chickens by themselves.
One of my dogs does have a strong prey drive--if he sees a raccoon or fox outside and can bolt and chase it, he will. He has gotten out accidentally before, disappeared for the night, and come home w/what looked like a BB wound on his chest.
I would ask everyone who has problems with neighbor dogs, to do what KH did, and TELL YOUR NEIGHBOR. EVERY TIME. Even if that means going over every day.
A lot of us will listen, and change our methods, or work w/our dogs, but we have to be informed whenever something like this happens (no one's ever complained to me about my dog, but that time he got out, that wound, tells me he was up to no good...)
And frankly, I think a lot of people's dogs behave well only when they're being carefully watched!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom