One lonely hen left :(

nicthekiwi

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 29, 2013
Sadly, my beautiful Buff Sussex passed away this week and I'm left with a lonely Plymouth (Barred) Rock. What should I do?

The 2 ladies were originally part of a group of 6 chicks I got 2 years ago. As time has gone by I've had to re-home 3 roosters (I live inner-city) and my other BR had to be put to sleep because she'd become very agressive, bitey and roo-like.

That left me with Lilly and Moa who have been best friends all this time. Lilly had been broody for a couple of weeks but otherwise fine, I came home from work the other day to find her dead in her nest box. She had been chasing the cat the night before so I was shocked.
She wasn't unwell as far as I could see, no parasites and not underweight.

The worst part about this whole sernario is that my poor BR, Moa, is all by herself. We've been calling her the 'separation anxiety chicken' for a few weeks, she didn't cope well with Lilly living in the nesting box and me being at work. She'd whine and shriek whenever she saw me go down the drive. I've been letting her out of the coop at daybreak because I'm scared the neighbours are going to complain.
Now that Lilly is gone I think it's getting worse because she's only got me for company. She sits on the back doorstep and tries to get into the house, cries if she sees me walk past the widow that faces the back yard and goes nuts when walk or drive into the driveway (she can see it from her house).

She lives in a large-ish house/coop during the day and free-ranges my back yard when I'm home. I won't let her out 24/7 because I don't trust the neighbour's cats (though mine is scared of her).

What should I do?

I absolutely adore her so I don't want to get rid of her.
Do I leave her as is and she'll get used to being alone? Or do I get some new chickens for her?

What age/breed would I get for her as friends?
I'd have roome for another 2 hens if that was the suggestion, but should I get them as chicks or pullets or older?

Sorry it's so long and so many questions!! I just want her to be happy so any advice would be amazing :)

Thanks!
Nic

I'd definitely get some other birds. Chickens don't like living alone. Older pullets (16-24 weeks old) would probably be the best option, as they would be almost as large as Moa, and wouldn't be picked on by her probably. However, its not always easy to find pullets for sale, so you could look into getting some chicks instead in the spring.

She needs a flock to be happy.

Some of the online hatcheries sell started pullets. You could find out how old they are. And sometimes people are needing to rehome birds. I saw them on craigslist all of the time. You can post a wanted ad and perhaps someone here on BYC has some birds.

They'll need to be at least 15-16 weeks old.

I hope you can find her some company soon.

Back
Top Bottom