one of my chickens got attacked by a dog will it survive

jimmymarch

Hatching
Nov 23, 2020
I was watching my sister's golden retriever for a couple days, I went out on Day 2 and it was laying on top of it pretty much eating it. Is it a wound it can survive? The red is not blood its Red-Kote.

Attachments

• 20201123_135808.jpg
    20201123_135808.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201123_135756.jpg
    20201123_135756.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 10
That is pretty sever, are there any punchers? Separate her in a quiet cal m place in your house were it is warm and away from weather and flies. You can wash the wound with Vetrycin, Clorhexadine, Saline, or another sterile solution and even just soapy water. Put Neosporin on the wound and DON'T wrap. Is she still in shock? Put Sugar in the water if she is in shock. Is she eating/drinking/pooping? Water is most important, Electrolytes in the water is good too, @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Overo Mare That is a pretty serve wound, survival is depending on who much time you can put into saving her. You will be surprised what chickens can survive, but and expert like the members I tagged will give the best information.

That is pretty sever, are there any punchers? Separate her in a quiet cal m place in your house were it is warm and away from weather and flies. You can wash the wound with Vetrycin, Clorhexadine, Saline, or another sterile solution and even just soapy water. Put Neosporin on the wound and DON'T wrap. Is she still in shock? Put Sugar in the water if she is in shock. Is she eating/drinking/pooping? Water is most important, Electrolytes in the water is good too, @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Overo Mare That is a pretty serve wound, survival is depending on who much time you can put into saving her. You will be surprised what chickens can survive, but and expert like the members I tagged will give the best information.
it happened two days ago she's acting normal eating pooping and drinking and even still laid an egg. don't really have to worry about flies it's too cold right now

it happened two days ago she's acting normal eating pooping and drinking and even still laid an egg. don't really have to worry about flies it's too cold right now
Okay, is she indoor house, and separated? It is good she is still doign chicken things, there is hope for this hen. She seems to have a will to live. Make sure she is inside, separated, and warm!
Oh and welcome to BYC! So happy to have you and so sorry this happened! :welcome

Back
Top Bottom