One of my chickens got attacked!

HayHayTheRooster

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2018
It’s been 3 days now sense she got attacked. I thought she would get better by time. But it seems to be getting very swollen. What are your thoughts on helping her.

Attachments

• 3C7E6D1E-2538-44CC-B659-DD888FBDCD90.jpeg
    3C7E6D1E-2538-44CC-B659-DD888FBDCD90.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 9
Please send photo of the other side of her foot; also, a warm soak in Epsom salt water for 20 minutes a day for a few days (if you have some Epsom salt, plain water will do, if you don't have the salt) would benefit her foot for any number of conditions ranging from sprain, swelling (obvious swelling there), or even bumblefoot. The water is cool enough when dipping your hand & wrist into the tub of water doesn't cause you discomfort on your inner wrist. For an added treat, after this spa treatment, you might also rub some coconut, olive, sunflower or other skin-friendly oil into her feet and legs, and don't forget the bottoms of her feet :p Not only will her skin benefit from this treatment, but it should feel SO good to her that you should be able to closely examine those toes, top side, bottom side and even in between.
What attacked her? If it was any variety of cat, then she'll need antibiotics pronto. Cats carry germs that poultry are very susceptible to.

What happened to her? Is the foot the only thing injured? That toe looks like she might lose it. That happens sometimes with frostbite and they do fine with missing toes. I would do as suggested by @Tycine1 above. You can also use plain neopsporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it (no pain killer). If the dark part is migrating up the toe, that would be concerning, if it's staying the way it is, then less so.

Please send photo of the other side of her foot; also, a warm soak in Epsom salt water for 20 minutes a day for a few days (if you have some Epsom salt, plain water will do, if you don't have the salt) would benefit her foot for any number of conditions ranging from sprain, swelling (obvious swelling there), or even bumblefoot. The water is cool enough when dipping your hand & wrist into the tub of water doesn't cause you discomfort on your inner wrist. For an added treat, after this spa treatment, you might also rub some coconut, olive, sunflower or other skin-friendly oil into her feet and legs, and don't forget the bottoms of her feet :p Not only will her skin benefit from this treatment, but it should feel SO good to her that you should be able to closely examine those toes, top side, bottom side and even in between.
What attacked her? If it was any variety of cat, then she'll need antibiotics pronto. Cats carry germs that poultry are very susceptible to.
Thank you so much for replying. I will definitely get some salt for her. We don’t know what attacked her we live in the desert so it was definitely not a cat. I will keep you updated if it gets worse.

Back
Top Bottom