One of my chicks peeps *incessantly*!!!

monarchcmj

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
NH
This morning, I jumped out of bed because one of the chicks was peeping so loud I thought for sure something was wrong. The same chick has been peeping very loudly the last few days but otherwise seems fine. It eats and drinks and runs around fine, but constantly peeps.... LOUD! Is it just this chick's personality? Or maybe something is wrong that I'm not seeing. Whatever the case, my ears could use a rest from the shrill, piercing peeps!

I've had a peeper as well. Ours did eat and drink also, but just seems to struggle to grow. I do think it means something is not right, but you don't always know what that is. We nursed our little guy along feeding him extra goodies like eggs & yogurt along with his feed, and he eventually stopped peeping and starting growing, but was half the size of his fellow hatch mates. We did end up giving him away though at 8 wks, and I often wonder if he's doing ok.

Nothing is wrong that I can see. No pasty butt, no injuries, nothing. He is not slow growing either; he's one of the biggest chicks we have.
Maybe he's just a talker. I just took him away from the other chicks for a few minutes and he settled right down and only made soft little cheeping sounds.

Maybe he just misses his mommy!
wink.png

Our little guy would constantly stick his head under the bodies of the other chicks, as if he were trying to get underneath a momma hen. So cute.

Well then, you might try my 'egg' trick; pick him up and hold him so that you have ove hand under him and the other hand over his back, sort of forming an 'egg' shape with his head sticking out between the thumb and forefinger of your top hand. Then blow warm air into your hands in the area between his neck/back and your hands by keeping your mouth comfortably relaxed and gently breathing out making an 'haaaaaaaaaaaah' sort of breath. Think of filling the 'egg' with warmth. This usually settles them right down. Then you can use your finger or thumb to gently stroke the area by his ears and back of his little neck. If he gets agitated right away, do the breath again. Works really well for me.

There was one loudmouth in my latest batch. It was like she was trying to see how loud she could get. After a few days she settled down and I don't hear anything other than the usual peeps, twitters, whirs and purrs. I'm going to miss these gals when they go to the big house.

Keep an eye on her. I had another one in my last batch that peeped all the time but there was something wrong with her. She sat with her head cocked back and her eyes closed and hollered night and day. The only time she was quiet was when she nestled under my hair. I think she had shavings stuck in her crop and once that made it through she was fine and finally quiet.

Mine peeped alot and still does to the poit I called him Peepers but since he has gotten older now (10 weeks old) he only does it when I come into the yard but then I pick him up and he quits so it could be he is a roo or he misses his momma and you are now the momma so it wants to be near you all the time.

(The only reason for the roo thought is because it calmed down when it was away from the others and Mine peeped like that and is a roo)

Sometimes they're peeping because they want a momma, you might try a stuffed animal or a suspended feather duster (so they can get under it but not tangled in it).

Back
Top Bottom