One of my customers put dirty eggs in their fridge...

A.M. Eggs

Songster
Jan 7, 2018
Wichita Falls, TX
Hi! As you can see from the title, one of my customers put their dirty eggs in their fridge after I told them to leave them on the counter. They were left in the fridge over night. Will they have to throw the eggs away and get a new batch or should they wash the eggs immediately?

Hi! As you can see from the title, one of my customers put their dirty eggs in their fridge after I told them to leave them on the counter. They were left in the fridge over night. Will they have to throw the eggs away and get a new batch or should they wash the eggs immediately?

How dirty? Not sure I would trust them, but that's me. I wash the dirty ones put them in the fridge and use them myself, I never give them out.

Yeah it is an awkward situation... you see, the eggs that they grabbed were for someone else who prefers unclean eggs to save room in their fridge. The customer(#2) has always gotten their eggs from the fridge so when they saw them on the counter I guess they just assumed they were theirs. The customer forgot that I have the other customer(#2) who prefers dirty eggs. I will let them know that everything will be alright.

Honestly, I never wash my eggs until I use them and sometimes not even then:p

It isn't the dirt that makes them safe on the counter, it's the 'bloom' which is a coating that you can't see. Washing removes the bloom. Once they are refrigerated, they must stay refrigerated, because there will be condensation which can wash off some of the bloom. Then any bacteria on the egg can enter thru the shell. Especially with dirty eggs.

99% of my eggs are very clean looking, but they still have the bloom to protect them as I don't wash them until ready to use them. I don't save dirty eggs, I feed them back to the chickens, cooked. I can't imagine selling/buying dirty eggs.
Btw, I refrigerate my eggs, I don't leave them on the counter.

The customer forgot that I have the other customer(#2) who prefers dirty eggs. I will let them know that everything will be alright.

Yup just advise them to keep them in the fridge, since they've already been refrigerated, so there won't be any possible issues with condensation forming due to temp difference on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom