One of my eggs hasn’t hatched and it’s day 25, but there is definitely a chick in it

Baby_Chicken_

Hatching
Mar 11, 2018
So I started incubating my eggs of the evening of February 12, and yesterday was day 25. We have seven eggs, while five of them are clearly not going to hatch, being completely red when candled. The other two are mostly black, except for the yolk and the air bubble. One of them I’m not counting on to hatch, but the other ones yolk is getting smaller like it is eating it. Today is day 26, and they still haven’t hatched. I don’t know what to do.

Yes they are chicken eggs
Wow, that's a really hard one...

I have never had chicks hatch that late... though I have seen an occasional one on here.

Is the chick externally pipped yet? What is your temp and humidity set at? Where were they during incubation? With it being this late... their was either misunderstanding about temps on your part or your thermometer isn't calibrated correctly. Not meant to be finger pointing but just helping to figure it out.

Once they do their external pip the yolk does absorb through their naval (often about 24 hours) before they finish zipping.

Welcome to BYC :frow You came to the right place for help.

Do you see movement inside the egg when you candle? Do you hear a clicking noise inside the egg? These are signs that the chick is still alive. If these signs aren't there it's likely that the chick has died without pipping. I've had chicken chicks hatch on day 23 but day 25 is probably too long. If you are talking about other types of poultry like ducks or guinea keets (28 day incubation) then 25 isn't too long.
So sorry your hatch hasn't gone well. :(

Wow, that's a really hard one...

I have never had chicks hatch that late... though I have seen an occasional one on here.

Is the chick externally pipped yet? What is your temp and humidity set at? Where were they during incubation? With it being this late... their was either misunderstanding about temps on your part or your thermometer isn't calibrated correctly. Not meant to be finger pointing but just helping to figure it out.

Once they do their external pip the yolk does absorb through their naval (often about 24 hours) before they finish zipping.
Our temperature is set at 37.5 degrees celcius, which is said to be the ideal temperature, I don’t see any pip marks, and I tried to get it to chirp, but I think that I wasn’t doing it the right way

Our temperature is set at 37.5 degrees celcius, which is said to be the ideal temperature, I don’t see any pip marks, and I tried to get it to chirp, but I think that I wasn’t doing it the right way
As there are no detectable pips I would suggest using the float test to check for movement from within are you familiar with that?

How many thermometers did you use? Or was the one you were using calibrated? I only ask because if they were off then delayed hatch is possible. But if the temp was accurate, not likely this late. Also, it POSSIBLE... if you didn't move the eggs around inside the bator that it was in a cool spot and therefor delayed.

In reality... I wouldn't still be hopeful and would already have pulled it. :hmm

But I'm still hopeful for you! :fl :jumpy

So I started incubating my eggs of the evening of February 12, and yesterday was day 25. We have seven eggs, while five of them are clearly not going to hatch, being completely red when candled. The other two are mostly black, except for the yolk and the air bubble. One of them I’m not counting on to hatch, but the other ones yolk is getting smaller like it is eating it. Today is day 26, and they still haven’t hatched. I don’t know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom