One of my ganders is getting into the habit of biting me

Ahhh ok, i just remember someone on here explaining how ganders will bump chests and flap a lot as a show of dominance and that you should do the same and not back down so thats what ive been trying
I used to think that too, but in the end it only reinforces any reasons for being angry at you, it proves to them your a rival that needs to be fought with. Picking them up has worked better for me.

So, full disclaimer: I only have ducks and I've never had geese. But what if you get a new bucket, in a different color and shape, and see how your gander feels about that?
Change of color sometimes works temporarily, but it has more to do with the sound of the handle against the bucket and the fact that it’s being moved in the first place, it drives mine mad.

Lol that is funny! Marcus has a thing for my flip flops. Every time he sees me with them he will start chewing them. Wagging is but. He will even try to crew them while I am walking! When I sit down with them. I will some time give him my flip flop. Marcus will get so excited that he will wag his butt, make happy noises then take that flip flop a little bit away from me and lay on it! Happy chewing on it while makeing happy noises! (This is the best pic I have of him doing that)View attachment 2389097
He loves that flip flop!

Change of color sometimes works temporarily, but it has more to do with the sound of the handle against the bucket and the fact that it’s being moved in the first place, it drives mine mad.
Lol, I see. Well, clearly the bucket has to be moved. If my ducks were biting me when I moved their water bucket I would move their bucket before I let them out in the morning. Or if it is the noise I might try putting some type of padding between the handle and the bucket .

Maybe that isn't applicable, or the OP is looking for behavioral management techniques. I'm clueless there. 🙂

Behavioural management and echniques for sure: i dont have loads of spaco so the bucket must go inside their pen with them, its not possible to bring the bucket out before i let them out with my setup - i can try a change in bucket but in all honesty its as goosebaby said and its the entire presence of and moving of the bucket that is the problem on the first place 😔

I should also note...he chills out the moment i set it down.

Perhaps you could "flood" him with it in the hopes of teaching him the bucket moving isn't bad. Take the bucket out and every few minutes pick it up and move it a few feet away. In between moving it, talk to him, love on him, whatever he likes. Let him explore the bucket. And then move it again. Just keep doing it over and over in sessions until the bucket doesn't get him excited. That could possibly work.

Perhaps you could "flood" him with it in the hopes of teaching him the bucket moving isn't bad. Take the bucket out and every few minutes pick it up and move it a few feet away. In between moving it, talk to him, love on him, whatever he likes. Let him explore the bucket. And then move it again. Just keep doing it over and over in sessions until the bucket doesn't get him excited. That could possibly work.
This is a good idea!
also a strong “NO!” when he’s acting up is a good word to teach him, my gander Leo has learned to back off when he hears it because he knows he’ll get picked up if he doesn’t.
When breeding season comes and his horomones get to him it only works 50% of the time, but Leo is my oldest and one of the first geese I got, he wasn’t raised hands on like the others so our relationship is different. The others are more appreciative of my existence.

One other tip I can offer, full buckets are better than empty, for some reason it’s worse if it’s empty, probably because they can roll it around and it rattles more, so sometimes I put a rock in the bottom so it’s harder to tip over during breeding season and other buckets not in use are kept out of reach.

Otherwise this can sometimes happen, BEHOLD THE RAGE OF PARSNIP!

Attachments

• 016DAC8B-BDFF-45C6-9294-3622FB289C67.jpeg
    016DAC8B-BDFF-45C6-9294-3622FB289C67.jpeg
    991.1 KB · Views: 5
  • F173946F-3811-4D1C-9C2A-67C6072C562B.jpeg
    F173946F-3811-4D1C-9C2A-67C6072C562B.jpeg
    1,024 KB · Views: 5
Ahhhh noo! Bucket destruction!! I think ill go with the picking up and no for now. Did someone say it was pairing season at the moment too? Would that go a little way towards explaining the extra agression and honking??? Will honking quieten down a bit in a few months maybe?

This is a good idea!
also a strong “NO!” when he’s acting up is a good word to teach him, my gander Leo has learned to back off when he hears it because he knows he’ll get picked up if he doesn’t.
When breeding season comes and his horomones get to him it only works 50% of the time, but Leo is my oldest and one of the first geese I got, he wasn’t raised hands on like the others so our relationship is different. The others are more appreciative of my existence.

One other tip I can offer, full buckets are better than empty, for some reason it’s worse if it’s empty, probably because they can roll it around and it rattles more, so sometimes I put a rock in the bottom so it’s harder to tip over during breeding season and other buckets not in use are kept out of reach.

Otherwise this can sometimes happen, BEHOLD THE RAGE OF PARSNIP!
Lol, oh my! Your gander did that? I had no idea it was quite so serious!

Back
Top Bottom