One of my girls is acting sluggish

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the pullet, her legs/feet and of her poop?
What do you feed, including treats?
Check her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Sounds like she's not coming out to eat/drink, so you will want to make sure she's getting to eat and drink.

Coccidiosis does come to mind in a younger bird. If you mixed the Corid with vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) this will likely make the medication ineffective.
Getting a fecal float through your vet can tell you if you need to treat her.

Work on hydration, then offer some wet feed.
If you can get video of her actions that would be good too - upload video to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC upload does not work.
She has progressively gotten worse this is the first time that her poop has looked like this... and I'm sorry for the yucky photo, but you wanted to see what it look like. I am trying to hand feed her, but she won't eat. I'm also administering water the same way. It's got the Corid, electrolytes, vitamins (no B-1 Thiamine). She is drinking a little at a time. She still can not stand. Barley holds her head up just lays on her side.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_5060.JPG.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5062.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpg.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm also administering water the same way. It's got the Corid, electrolytes, vitamins (no B-1 Thiamine).
That is a lot of blood in the poop.
Does she have any injury, was she vent pecked?

Omit everything from the water except for the Corid. No electrolytes, no vitamin, just Corid in the water.

I'd also be sourcing some Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic and begin treating her with one of those as soon as you can get it.

Provide her with a dish of water, so she can drink well or if you need to, syringe the medicated water into her. Drinking a little at a time is not going to do much, get the meds into her.

That is a lot of blood in the poop.
Does she have any injury, was she vent pecked?

Omit everything from the water except for the Corid. No electrolytes, no vitamin, just Corid in the water.

I'd also be sourcing some Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic and begin treating her with one of those as soon as you can get it.

Provide her with a dish of water, so she can drink well or if you need to, syringe the medicated water into her. Drinking a little at a time is not going to do much, get the meds into her.
No injury. Where would I get the Sulpha antibiotic or the toltrazuril for coccidia in chickens? Also she can't even hardly hold her head up, she can't stand either. How do I get the meds into her?

Last edited:
I would give her undiluted Liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight orally twice a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to getting the Mixed Corid water into her throughout the day.

If vet care is an option, that would be a very good idea, but I absolutely understand if it's not. The poop and her condition is very concerning. You'll want to push fluids and get her hydrated with the Corid water, but she may not make it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Endocox (Toltrazuril)
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/endocox-powder

Sulfa antibiotic
https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet

UPDATE ON TIFFANY: I have given her the suggested Corid for 2 days now. She is now eating hand fed wet food, and a bit of water. The antibiotics won't be here until Friday (4 days away) She has not had any more bloody poop. She seems more alert, however she is still not able to stand.
The only water she's getting is medicated with Corid correct?

I'd work on keeping her eating and drinking the medicated water.
Not being able to stand may be due to something else like Marek's disease.

Yes, the water is medicated with the Corid. I mean she does not even try to stand. When I fed her and give her water, it's like she gets excited and one leg is stiff and the other one shakes with fingers curled up. ALSO: when I purchased them they "claimed" that they ALL had been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox
The only water she's getting is medicated with Corid correct?

I'd work on keeping her eating and drinking the medicated water.
Not being able to stand may be due to something else like Marek's disease.

Last edited:
Yes, the water is medicated with the Corid. I mean she does not even try to stand. When I fed her and give her water, it's like she gets excited and one leg is stiff and the other one shakes with fingers curled up. ALSO: when I purchased them they "claimed" that they ALL had been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox
It may be that she's suffering from some neurological problems or she has Marek's. She's the right age for the disease to start to show up.
Could be that she's very weak from the Coccidiosis as well, it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time.
You can start giving her Vitamin E (400IU) daily to see if that helps.

Once you finish the Corid treatment for 5-7 days, let us know, and I'll tell you what other vitamins to add.

If whomever you purchased them from said they were vaccinated, then they probably were.
The Marek's vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, it may help reduce the formation of tumors. So it's very possible that Marek's could be causing the problems with her legs.
Fowl Pox vaccine usually only covers certain strains, so again, it's possible for birds to end up with Fowl Pox too.

If you lose her and really want to know more about what caused her decline, then getting testing/necropsy through your state lab will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

It may be that she's suffering from some neurological problems or she has Marek's. She's the right age for the disease to start to show up.
Could be that she's very weak from the Coccidiosis as well, it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time.
You can start giving her Vitamin E (400IU) daily to see if that helps.

Once you finish the Corid treatment for 5-7 days, let us know, and I'll tell you what other vitamins to add.

If whomever you purchased them from said they were vaccinated, then they probably were.
The Marek's vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, it may help reduce the formation of tumors. So it's very possible that Marek's could be causing the problems with her legs.
Fowl Pox vaccine usually only covers certain strains, so again, it's possible for birds to end up with Fowl Pox too.

If you lose her and really want to know more about what caused her decline, then getting testing/necropsy through your state lab will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
As I do hope she recovers 100%, I understand. In your previous reply you mentioned giving her the Corid .10ml twice a day for 3 days. So am I now to continue that for a total of 5 to 7 days?

Also another question she has been laying on her side for this entire time. And as you would imagine I clean up her poop every time I see it, but during the night hours she does get it all over her side that she is laying on. I dont know what to do because I'm afraid she may get some infection or something from wet feces on her side constantly. I want to bath her but don't want to stress her any more than she is already stressed.

Back
Top Bottom