One of my new baby chicks makes body movement like crowing?

cyndilynn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Arkansas
Newby here! Picked up three Ameraucana pullets and 2 barred rock pullets yesterday from the farm store yesterday. One of the Ameraucana chicks was acting like it was trying to crow this morning when I checked on them. It is also brighter colored than my other two. Could she be a roo instead or do the all do that?

I am about 3 weeks into my first flock and am a bit curious to hear what the responses are since I have noticed the same behaviour in mine. If it makes you feel any better I have seen it also in the chicks that I am not roo suspicious of. I see it only when I have taken them outside for field trips in the yard and garden, they do not generally do it in the brooder where there is not a breeze so I thought that may have something to do with the behavior.

I'm new to chicks too, but I think mine are stretching and mimicking adult behaviors. As well as working out a 'pecking order'. They make very agitated movements by flapping about lol

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Sounds like your chick is stretching but how old are they
jumpy.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Newby here! Picked up three Ameraucana pullets and 2 barred rock pullets yesterday from the farm store yesterday. One of the Ameraucana chicks was acting like it was trying to crow this morning when I checked on them. It is also brighter colored than my other two. Could she be a roo instead or do the all do that?

They all stretch and they all adjust crop contents and that can look like a baby trying to crow.

If these chicks are feathered, it's often possible to tell their gender by patterning. But don't go by the down color of an "Ameraucana" for sexing. I put it in quotes because they are much more likely to be Easter Eggers since hatchery bred chicks don't meet breed standard for an Ameraucanas.

Hi! newbie here too. I've got 15 Americauna chicks that I purchased from a hatchery (just under a week old, all female).......and I've noticed this behavior in a few of mine. The ones exhibiting this behavior seem to be a little more curious than the rest. (Top of the pecking order????) we'll see

I've had my flock for about 2.5 weeks and man have they grown in that time!!

I can see that several of the golden girls are already taking the lead and boss the others around. When one of those two gets skittish they ALL react!! It's too funny!

I fed them a grub worm today and that's when the pecking order went out the window because they were all trying to get it. A black one (one of the more skittish) got super excited and opted to take on the gold girl and we had a tug of war happening (poor worm!!) LOL

We can all learn together, eh folks?? :D

Thank you every one. They are 5 days old now. And Sooooo cute. Their little personalities are starting to come out and I can't believe how fast their feathers are coming in. I think she was just stretching. My coworkers are probably already sick of me talking about them!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom