Ongoing feather loss! Can't figure it out!

glloyd203

Chirping
Apr 27, 2017
I hope I put this in the right section; I'm hoping it's not a disease :(
I am sooo worried about my girls! I made a post a couple months ago because a couple of my hens have feather loss on their backs, and one is even completely bare on her back between her wings. People were really helpful and mentioned that they are probably bullying each other, and suggested the aprons, which I got. Unfortunately they haven't worked at all and their feathers don't seem to be growing back. Someone suggested that they could have a protein deficiency and that's why they're pecking each other, but their skin doesn't ever seem to be broken or bleeding so I don't think that's it. One of them now has additional feather loss on her butt/underbelly area and it looks a little swollen too. I am so worried about them. A third hen is starting to lose feathers on her back as well. Other than this they seem to be behaving normally. We have a rooster and ducks in the run with them as well, I've never seen the ducks bother the hens though they fight with the rooster sometimes. They eat a non-GMO layer feed which I believe is 16% protein, I was told not to go higher than that since the ducks share it. They are supplemented grit and oyster shell and for treats they eat scratch feed, mealworms, leaves/weeds, and occasionally other treats like watermelon. I have seen them peck at each other a few times but it never seems very brutal or violent, just normal chicken rudeness. I hope someone can help with this! I really hope they aren't sick! :(

IMG_8153.jpg
IMG_7945.jpg
IMG_5490.jpg
IMG_8154.jpg

Roosters often cause loss of feathers on back. A young rooster either breeding aggressively or just not enough hens. On the back side and or back probably parasites. I would worm well and check for lice or mites. At our local store they have a non chemical spray that I buy for mine and works really well. That way they are not subjected to chemical reaction. Hope this helps.

Roosters often cause loss of feathers on back. A young rooster either breeding aggressively or just not enough hens. On the back side and or back probably parasites. I would worm well and check for lice or mites. At our local store they have a non chemical spray that I buy for mine and works really well. That way they are not subjected to chemical reaction. Hope this helps.

Thank you this is very helpful! The rooster is very aggressive, I know they normally pull the feathers on the back of the head/neck but do you think he might be pulling feathers from their backs like that too? Also do you by chance know the name of the spray, and maybe I can find it online and order it? Thanks!

Manna pro poultry protector. I love it! Yes roosters can cause that. Aggressive breeding, there feet will cause balding. I pull my hens out that have this happen. They do sell things called saddles,I think, but more cost effective to just pull hen out when this happens.

To me, it sounds like it might be time to expand your coop and run. There may not be enough space for all those birds which can lead to fighting and feather picking.
BTW, since they're losing feathers, have you seen feathers on the ground?

Yes that's a great idea, I've been meaning to make the run larger. Unfortunately I can't let them free range because we have a huge hawk in our neighborhood who has already been eyeing them :( Actually now that you mention it, I really don't see that many feathers on the ground... sometimes the smaller ones, but rarely do I see the long thick feathers and they are definitely missing a lot of their bigger feathers. Why do you think I wouldn't be seeing them on the ground if they are losing so many...?

I also read something interesting on MyPetChicken: "Sometimes hens will regrow feathers immediately, and sometimes they won't regrow missing feathers until the molt (usually in the late summer or fall). The best layers are usually using all their resources to produce eggs, rather than to regrow feathers." My hens are great layers, each one usually laying almost every day, so maybe this is what's happening... Maybe the aprons are protecting them from the others biting them, but the feathers just aren't growing back since they've been laying so much?

Manna pro poultry protector. I love it! Yes roosters can cause that. Aggressive breeding, there feet will cause balding. I pull my hens out that have this happen. They do sell things called saddles,I think, but more cost effective to just pull hen out when this happens.

Yes the saddles are what I'm using, I worry that the rooster is getting underneath the saddle maybe... When you pull a hen out do you keep her in a separate coop..? and for how long?

I will take her out, just in a pen I built, 3x4, for a week. Normally by that time the rooster has decided to go with the other hens and doesn't just focus on her. When feathers are ripped out that way it will take a good while for the underlying damage to heal and the feathers to grow back.

Yes that's a great idea, I've been meaning to make the run larger. Unfortunately I can't let them free range because we have a huge hawk in our neighborhood who has already been eyeing them :( Actually now that you mention it, I really don't see that many feathers on the ground... sometimes the smaller ones, but rarely do I see the long thick feathers and they are definitely missing a lot of their bigger feathers. Why do you think I wouldn't be seeing them on the ground if they are losing so many...?

I also read something interesting on MyPetChicken: "Sometimes hens will regrow feathers immediately, and sometimes they won't regrow missing feathers until the molt (usually in the late summer or fall). The best layers are usually using all their resources to produce eggs, rather than to regrow feathers." My hens are great layers, each one usually laying almost every day, so maybe this is what's happening... Maybe the aprons are protecting them from the others biting them, but the feathers just aren't growing back since they've been laying so much?
Since you're not seeing many feathers on the ground, that means they are eating them due to the lack of sufficient protein in their diet in combination with the lack of enough space.
It sounds like you have a special project coming up...expanding your coop and run. Been there, done that lol.
This might help get their attention in the meantime and slow or stop feather picking:
Get a head of cabbage or two and hang them in the pen. Drive a nail into the core with clothesline tied to the head of the nail and tie off the other end of the clothesline and let it hang. The birds will peck at the cabbage all day and relieve boredom cutting back on picking. Remember, this is just a temporary fix.

I agree, it sounds like a space issue. Do you have any drakes or are the ducks all female. Drakes in the pen with hens could also be a serious problem. Personally, if the cockerel/rooster is causing them to have bare backs, I would remove him rather than individual hens. Reintegration can be an issue if you remove a hen. Less so with a rooster and the whole flock will feel the benefit of the rooster being removed rather than just one hen.

My other concern is their feed..... what does the organic layer look like? Is it a pellet or crumble or does it look like cracked mixed grains with some fines. If the latter, the problem may be that the birds are picking out their favourite bits usually the high carbohydrate components like corn and wheat and leaving the less attractive but higher protein pulses. They tend to bill out such feeds onto the ground to get to the bits they prefer and the fines which contain the important trace minerals and vitamins and essential amino acids often get wasted. You are also feeding scratch with increases their carbohydrates intake but as a result dilutes their protein intake further. I would put them on a pelleted feed if their current feed is not and cut the scratch from their diet and give them fruit and veg and meal worms for treats. A high carbohydrate diet can lead to quite serious health issues and that swollen inflamed abdomen could be one of them. That girl could do with that sore cleaning up and antibiotic or antiseptic ointment applying. If that continues to get pecked, she could rupture. I'm thinking there may be a build up of fluid in her abdomen (ascites) causing the swelling.

Back
Top Bottom