Flu shot
2Goats to auction
Bought feed
Bought lumber and chicken wire
Went to bank
Cut and painted wood for back of quail shack
Installed divider in same
Cut and installed boards to attach roof to
phew, I need to go to sleep, getting up early for auction!

Why does morning start so early? Push it back to 10 o'clock and I can deal with it. 6 am is very hard to deal with when you are a night owl. So I got together most of my excess chicks and roosters, and went off to the auction. A guy sees me, says, Did you bring any eggs? No, I told you if you wanted some to call and let me know. See, he wants to get them through the auction, hatching eggs for like $1.50 a dozen
I don't think so. I get that much for eating eggs. Prices were terrible, I brought some back home rather than sell them that cheap. Goat prices are down too. But I have so few goats at this point, no more to sell! Anyway, I bought a pair of Hamburgs and a pair of buff sebright BANTAMS!! I know, shocking, right?
This afternoon I sold eight teenage chickens to a guy and got almost as much as I got from the whole truckload sent to auction. Time of year I guess it happens every year.
Finished putting the back on the quail shack, and carted down the metal I have for the roof. I just have an area about one foot by eight left to cover after that so maybe I can find something. Hoped to build the little sand pit boxes tonight but I feel kind of headachey so I may just chill out.
May go to Memphis tomorrow to look at some silkies...:-D

I have not done much chicken stuff lately,but feeding and watering. Sorry to hear about the prices. They are going to end the chicken sale at the end of oct. and start again in the spring. So i better go the next 2 week ends. There is a a monthly sale in ok. about a hour away if i need a chicken sale fix.

I wrote a post last night and it got deleted. Went to post and poof it was gone .
I bought those blue splash silkies and some lf splash cochins! Woo hoo! So I drove around a lot today. DH brought back the eggs from Florida that got sent there by mistake. So I put them in the Bator. Buckeye eggs from the east coast . Need to replace my old girls , or at least a roo for new blood.

Maybe your post went to post heaven. What drives me crazy is when i'm trying to post pics and i do it right the first time and then do it wrong the next 2 times and can't figger out why. My boy who was helping me with the stone got a real job today so it's back to me and my girl to finish it.They are going to pore the walk ways Saturday, so we have to get it done. We have been working on it off and on since April ,i can't wait until Saturday!

Went to town today, gas went up $0.13 per gallon in one day. Glad I filled up yesterday. We might get rain tomorrow , that would be great! So dry, yet the guy that owns adjoining property was burning big huge piles of brush from when they logged the land. And it was windy, with a thick layer of dead leaves on the ground . I was quite worried, and moved the goats to a pasture futher from that side of the property. I would sure hate to have to try an evacuate all these animals!
I shipped three packages of eggs today. People are wanting eating eggs, so I am trying to put together a laying flock . I have some pullets that should start to lay soon.
Got some scrap wood today, it will be perfect for building the doors to the quail pen.:)

Quote:
We had like two inches of rain over the weekend!!
woot.gif
It clouded up and rained just for a minute tonight, but not enough to get the ground wet or anything.
sad.png

We had a burn ban here, that guy would have gotten fined like crazy if he was over here trying to do that!! You are in such a good area to sell chicks Deb. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and I'm two hours in any direction from any small town so it's hard to get rid of extra birds or chicks!!
barnie.gif

~Aspen

I make signs and post them in the feed stores. One place will actually let me drop chicks off for someone to pick up! And I advertise on Craigslist . Since you are out in the boondocks, you have to try harder. I also have a sign on my truck and hand out business cards a lot. Plus I post cards all over, on any board like grocery stores etc.
Today I worked on the quail duplex again. I got one side nearly done! Just need to cut the tin and attach the roof, then put a latch on the door. Woot! While I was over there, I decided to put the welded wire on the original chicken run, and discovered that one of the boards pretty much has rotted away, and the chicken wire was no longer attached to anything! Had to install a replacement board, and did the whole perimeter with welded wire. Working on getting that pen cleaned up and the coop winterized.
After I fed the animals, I worked on the silkie pen that has the young birds in it. Got most of the front done, but need to make the door taller. Then I am going to run strips of leftover plywood along the bottom so chicks don't squeeze through.
I have someone interested in Queenie, so I hope to find her a new home. I would like to get a Rottweiler or Doberman as a guard dog around here. Hearing too many stories of people getting ripped off.

Today I made the other box for the duplex quail pen, for their sand bath. Just need to paint it and then install. DH cut the rest of the metal for the roof! I built another door, need to attach the wire and then cut the plywood. But I am closing in on finishing it!
I was floored to see the window on the door to the Silver Sussex busted into pieces, and one of the roosters outside! Everything had been fine a few hours earlier when I went down to pick eggs. I think maybe the roosters are fighting and one hit the window. So I had to drop everything and do an emergency repair. I just put plywood over it, after I removed all the broken glass. Thank goodness none of them were injured.
I shooed the chickens out of the garage, and they got all flustered and one of them ran across the road and into the woods. So I had to go look for her, and she took one look at me and ran back across the road and all the way to Chicken City . Unfortunately, she belongs in the original coop! But Hoppy called her back, and she got herself back over there, through several fences.
We had a bit of rain yesterday, much needed. We could even use more.
I made the piece to extend the top of the door for the silkie pen in the barn. They can't get out, but I want to prevent others from getting in with them. Happy to get that done. Needs one more board to secure wire, and the plywood divider at ground level. My pens in there are recycled pallets, so there are some gaps .
I sold two dozen eggs and a box of chicks today, you gotta love that!:)

Quote:
I can barely keep up with you Deb!
th.gif
OMG! I'm super glad your Silver Sussex weren't hurt by the glass!!
ep.gif
Don't ya just love when hens go batty and run off! Peacocks, too!!
barnie.gif

This evening the three young peacocks (yes, they are actually ALL males...) were in the backyard. I thought I'd just shew them through the fence, well they were too big so I just picked them up and chunked them over the fence. HA! As soon as I tossed them over the fence they take off flying to the barn..seriously my mouth was open!!
ep.gif
That peacock flew over 150 yards and landed in a tree over by the barn!! OMG The other India blue male took off after him, and flew just as far as he did. The poor white peacock didn't know were everyone went and ran back to the coop like a good little boy..unlike his two dump brothers!!
he.gif

After catching one of the IB males on the fence and putting him in the coop we had to go around behind the barn to the tree the last IB male was in and jump up on one of the limbs, pull it down, and grab him to get'em down! That idiot-stick!!!
rant.gif
Okay...that is my Peacock adventure for the day...

~Aspen A.K.A The Peachick Catcher
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom