Only 1 duckling with angel wing?

KathiQuacks

Crowing
May 7, 2022
Central TX
I’m a bit mad at myself for not noticing sooner, but one of my ducklings (6.5 weeks) appears to have angel wing in his left wing.

I’m going to start treatment and get him wrapped up soon, but I’m wondering why he’s the only one who has it? The wings of his other 9 siblings all look lovely and are growing how they should. They all eat Purina’s duck feed (19% protein) and either free range or get fed some extra leafy greens. Any reason why he’s the only one with it? Thanks!

I’m a bit mad at myself for not noticing sooner, but one of my ducklings (6.5 weeks) appears to have angel wing in his left wing.

I’m going to start treatment and get him wrapped up soon, but I’m wondering why he’s the only one who has it? The wings of his other 9 siblings all look lovely and are growing how they should. They all eat Purina’s duck feed (19% protein) and either free range or get fed some extra leafy greens. Any reason why he’s the only one with it? Thanks!
there are a few theories as to what causes Angel Wang it’s not just the too much protein theory there’s also genetics theories .

lol angel WANG auto correct is funny
I didn’t want to say anything, but you pointed it out Hahahahahahahaha I don’t even know what Angel Wing is, but that is probably the second funniest auto correct I’ve seen 😆

The other one was years ago, my cousins wanted to go somewhere, and it corrected “can Francesca go with Simone” to “ can Francesca go with two men?”

I don’t even know what Angel Wing is
It’s a condition that mostly affects young waterfowl as they’re growing up, where one or both ends of their wings grow wrong and stick out. It can be corrected when they’re young, but it’s permanent in adults. It can be painful and prevents them from flying, unfortunately.

It’s a condition that mostly affects young waterfowl as they’re growing up, where one or both ends of their wings grow wrong and stick out. It can be corrected when they’re young, but it’s permanent in adults. It can be painful and prevents them from flying, unfortunately.
Oh. I only have chickens right now, so I’m not well versed in waterfowl ailments.

My two boys in my scovy batch were the only ones to get it. Some are just more susceptible it seems than others, just like people.

I had it with two of my Hookbill ducklings. Both were single hatchlings. I found some information which seemed to suggest it can be caused by lack of movement, or low muscle tone, which made sense for both of my two. As single ducklings they did not get chased and move around a lot like normal ducklings, they laid around and got a little chubby. The idea is that as the feathers grow in they are heavy and the duckling doesn't have the muscle tone to lift the wing and it twists and grows that way. Just a theory, but it might explain why one might get it and not the others, he is a little couch potato ;).

Btw, both were fine after only a couple days of wrapping.

I’ve got him wrapped up now. I tried wrapping just the one wing a couple times, but it didn’t work out, so I gave him the burrito wrap; It seems to be holding alright. He looks so silly, but I know it’ll be good for him :)

Thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom