Only laying yokes last 3 days and now looking sick

Aug 30, 2023
Please help,
My 18 month old Ameracauna has been having soft shell eggs. I posted here and started the Calcium Citrate d3 every day. We are on second week. It seemed to be working but now laying only yokes and this morning she's hunched over, eyes closing and definitely looking ill. She is also I noticed starting to molt lightly the last couple of days. I'm worried she is going to die if something is stuck? No mites amd even though she has laid yokes she has been acting fine until this morning. Any advice please.

Is the feed you offer a crumble or pelleted feed or a whole grain type feed?

A vet's visit to teach you how to tube feed and water the bird and get some antibiotics is your best bet at keeping her alive.
If she hasn't been eating and drinking for days she's not going to last long.

Is putting a tube down her throat in to her crop an option for you?
It's pellets and I don't have a vet that I know of in my area to take her to. I've never put a tube in before. She drank a little bit a couple of minutes ago.

So sorry she isn't getting better after the calcium supplement. Unfortunately there is probably something serious going on and it may not be fixable at this point.

What had you been feeding her?

So sorry she isn't getting better after the calcium supplement. Unfortunately there is probably something serious going on and it may not be fixable at this point.

What had you been feeding her?
I feed her 17% organic layer feed. No treats and my other 2 girls are fine. She's such a sweet hen that I adore.

No scratch, meal worms or kitchen scraps ever?

Ever have an respiratory illness issues?
No scratch, occasional meal worms but that wpukd be one or two per girl n no scraps. We stopped everything when I read on here it can affect them. No respiratory that I can tell. Like sneezing or wheezing - nothing.

No scratch, meal worms or kitchen scraps ever?

Ever have an respiratory illness issues?
They get flake oyster shells and regular oyster shell option. I thought of giving her a warm Epsom salt bath in a bucket but I'm worried it would stress her out and make her worse.

They get flake oyster shells and regular oyster shell option. I thought of giving her a warm Epsom salt bath in a bucket but I'm worried it would stress her out and make her worse.
Do not put her in water.

Is she drinking and eating?

Back
Top Bottom