Ontario??

Also Ontario, but all you guys is North.
I'm in the Windsor Area and currently not a legal Chicken Lady.

I think I have found a local breeder, but have to check in April on her day old stock.
Also found local fall fairs (poultry barns) a good source to find other back yard / barn breeders.

I'll post in the spring on my page as to how the "Windsor Area" breeder went.

Happy New Year All
Patricia

I'm in Ontario as well, about 2 hours away from Ottawa!!

I've not chickens yet but will be getting some from M&R feeds soon!! I can't wait to get them and start my journey!

Hi Everyone: We're in Erin, about an hour NW of Toronto. We got our first chickens last year: 12 Red Sex Links from Freys and 12 Chantecler pullets from a breeder (from which we hatched 7 eggs because the pullets had been kept with roosters). Just last week we got 62 chicks from Performance -- they are so cute and very lively. Yes, you have to order early because they sell out quickly but they have a great selection of heritage breeds. We got Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, White & Partridge Chanteclers & Ameraucanas.

Our first winter was a learning experience but overall went pretty well; the hens kept laying all winter. Contrary to what we have read, the hens did NOT want to be outside once it got cold, especially the Chanteclers who are supposed to be very hardy.

Is there anyone near Erin who also has chickens?

What do you think of the bylaw against keeping chickens being maintained in Toronto? It was an eye-opener hearing politicians who clearly know nothing about chickens, trying to say they are dirty, will reduce property values, are loud etc. etc. etc. Not true at all and makes me wonder what other things they are doing based on a total lack of information and knowledge! I feel sorry for those people in Toronto who can't legally keep a few hens in their backyards. Wish there was somewhere we could show our support for the backyard chicken movement!

Also Ontario, but all you guys is North.
I'm in the Windsor Area and currently not a legal Chicken Lady.

I think I have found a local breeder, but have to check in April on her day old stock.
Also found local fall fairs (poultry barns) a good source to find other back yard / barn breeders.

I'll post in the spring on my page as to how the "Windsor Area" breeder went.

Happy New Year All
Patricia
Cool, I'm from the Windsor area as well!

. Just last week we got 62 chicks from Performance -- they are so cute and very lively. Yes, you have to order early because they sell out quickly but they have a great selection of heritage breeds. We got Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, White & Partridge Chanteclers & Ameraucanas.
Nice to hear of someone who has bought from them, I am getting some next week from there.. I have to drive quite a distance so i hope they are decent birds but i couldn't find any closer...

I really haven't followed much in regards to Toronto... i think one issue is unless your in the more spaced areas i can see it being a big issue but i am in the country away from TO... honestly i think poultry are great but you truly need adequate spacing.
hide.gif

Hi all you Ontarions!!! I'm down southern Ont in Sarnia area. I found my Banty Cochins on kijiji.com, from a lady just 5 min north of London. She had a good assortment of banty, regular, also had ducks too. She was very informative,being that its my first time being a chicken owner. She first showed us around the property to show us the adults, so we could see how they were cared for and also to really see the difference from reg to banty size. With my city by-law we're only aloud Bantys. GO ONTARIO

I don't have any yet, though the "chicken fund" is part of the house fund so will happen around the same time
there are more people where I live now (around windsor) then where I used to

I'd never want chickens in the big city...glad I live in a much smaller town-city

hi all,
toss me into this group of those who want to learn chat with others in Ontario.
just bought a farm in north Whitby for the family.
i'm a carpenter so planning on building a mansion for a coop in Spring, but we'll see if I can wait. (I`ll post pics of the beehive I built)
please feel free to chat or share into on local places.

anyone else have issues with hatchery chicks? ie less productive than buying from another local chickhead?

hope to work with you soon

RF

HI, i got my chicks from a small hobby breeder by London....they're only 8-9wks old so no eggs yet.....will keep ya posted. Glad to have you on....good luck on the coop!!!!

Back
Top Bottom