Ooooops..It's not day 18 its day 20! Updated Pics page 4

I use a Nikon D40 DSLR camera. I actually got it to take close ups of the bee hives this spring...but have a blast taking shots of the chicks.

Wow..That looked like the movie caption "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille"
big_smile.png

I put mine on pipe cleaners to keep them from being bowled around. Didn't help a whole lot, but it did some. I'm going to try your egg carton thing with the next batch.

I know...I can't believe I messed it up by two days. However, I have to tell you my results are MUCH better. These things are popping out like popcorn!

I'm hatching these trying to learn more about hatching. Something between day 18 and 21 is ruining my hatch.

With this one I put a control group on their sides just to see what would happen. I took two of the pipped eggs and added them to the control group. So far, only one has hatched. I think the other died.

The eggs that are in the carton..... every egg that pips is hatching..... and quick.

I'll have to put another 40 in as soon as this hatch is over and try it again to see if the results are the same.

Basically here is what I did =

* Set the eggs with only a little water in the tray.
* Every two to three days I would add two tablespoons of water to the tray. Humidity stayed at around 20%.
* Kept the water weasel temp at 99.5 - 100.5
* Kept turning until the end of day 19
* End of day 19 removed turner, filled tray with hot water, added bowl of hot water with paper towels as wicks, put eggs straight up in egg cartons
* Reduced bator temp to 98.5
* Increased humidity to 76%

Very interesting! You're finding what works best for you in your situation/location/ etc. I have found that if I keep my humidity below 50, somewhere between 35-45,things go well. I have stopped increasing it above 65% anymore and have been having very clean hatches. Isn't that nice when they're clean and quick?

This is going to be the best hatch rate yet! I woke up at 3 am and decided to check the eggs. Two more had hatched so I moved them to the brooder. I got up at 530 and looked in the bator and saw 8 chicks! Pip to zip to hatch in less than 2 hours.

So far, 21 chicks and a bunch more pips!

Those pics are so good! Thanks for sharing and I love reading all the info about incubation cause yall done hooked me and I can't wait to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom